Another Canes Comeback

Worth the wait

‘Canes in suspense as UM wins sixth straight game against FSU

The game may not have been on Monday Night Football, but the 78,622 fans who turned out at the Orange Bowl didn’t seem to mind. After the mounting hype for the kickoff University of Miami vs. Florida State University football game, ‘Canes fans got all of the action and frenzy they craved, and some more.

“I just couldn’t believe how many fans showed up,” Suchita Thakkar, sophomore, said. “I was especially taken aback that it wasn’t just college kids – everyone from toddlers to grandparents were there to support their team.”

When the ‘Canes were down 10-0 at the end of the third quarter, many students were hopeful but hesitant about a win.

“I really hoped we would win but I honestly didn’t think it was going to happen,” Liana Harper, sophomore, said. “I never counted them out, but it was definitely looking grim.”

Despite fears of losing, students admit that the game kept everyone in suspense until the last minute -literally. The ‘Canes tied the game with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter, and won with an FSU turnover and touchdown in overtime.

“I wasn’t expecting at all that we’d come back and win,” Timothy Janicki, sophomore, said. “I was really doubtful after the last interception about us winning. It was a really exciting game, especially in the fourth quarter.”

Others expected victory but had some critiques of the team.

“Our defense was awesome but our offense needs work,” Caleb Brown, sophomore, said. However, he never thought UM would lose. “It was always in the back of my mind that we’d win,” Brown said.

“It was a great game because the Hurricanes always manage to save something for the end,” Barbara Reynolds, sophomore, said. “We’re definitely a fourth-quarter team.”

Sophomore Amanda DiGiovanni agreed.

“I didn’t think we were going to lose for one second because we always pull through in the fourth quarter,” DiGiovanni said.

Regardless of personal projections on winning or losing, students were united in expressing their deep pride and support for the ‘Canes.

“You always know we have a chance of winning even when we’re down,” Janicki said. “The ‘Canes always seem to pull through in the heat of the moment.”

Teressa Dalpe can be contacted at t.dalpe@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...