9/11 vigil offers hope and remembrance

On the third anniversary of the Sept. 11 tragedy, students gathered at the Rock to remember those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks and look to the future with hope and optimism.

“It’s important to do this,” says Steve Priepke, graduate assistant of Student Affairs, who helped with the vigil. “We hope to offer hope and inspiration instead of stirring bad emotions. For the students that go, it’s been a bonding experience.”

Ashley Box and Andrew Kloster, organizers of the event, concur.

“We are here together,” Box said. “We must go forward, trying to value humanity in its highest respect.” The vigil commenced with the Air Force ROTC’s 155 Detachment presenting the colors, and continued with a series of speeches, including testimonial from a New York firefighter who survived the attacks. The lighting of candles and invocation by Associate Chaplain Kerry Kieler-Guerra followed, and Phi Mu Alpha brothers concluded the night by singing “America the Beautiful.”

The organizers were well aware that 2004 is an election year, but didn’t let politics encroach upon the spirit of the vigil.

“Both parties can agree that 9/11 was horrible,” Box says. “9/11 was non-partisan, so the remembrance should be non-partisan.”

“I believe [9/11] has made many people look inward,” says Kieler-Guerra, who was impressed with the turnout. “It’s wonderful that students would organize this – I was honored to be here and participate.”

“Turnout was great. It’s wonderful that the students took time off on a Saturday night to attend,” Kloster says.

Those in the audience, including Provost Luis Glaser, seemed equally touched by the event.

“9/11 was a tragedy, but also something else -it unified the country,” Glaser said. “I’m very proud of the students who organized this. I don’t think we should ever forget this, and I don’t think we ever will.”

The vigil comes on the heels of a discussion panel hosted by the School of Communication and co-sponsored by the Council for Democracy. The panel will explore terrorism and its implications Sept. 16, in the Cosford Cinema at 1:30 pm.

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...