9/11 vigil offers hope and remembrance

On the third anniversary of the Sept. 11 tragedy, students gathered at the Rock to remember those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks and look to the future with hope and optimism.

“It’s important to do this,” says Steve Priepke, graduate assistant of Student Affairs, who helped with the vigil. “We hope to offer hope and inspiration instead of stirring bad emotions. For the students that go, it’s been a bonding experience.”

Ashley Box and Andrew Kloster, organizers of the event, concur.

“We are here together,” Box said. “We must go forward, trying to value humanity in its highest respect.” The vigil commenced with the Air Force ROTC’s 155 Detachment presenting the colors, and continued with a series of speeches, including testimonial from a New York firefighter who survived the attacks. The lighting of candles and invocation by Associate Chaplain Kerry Kieler-Guerra followed, and Phi Mu Alpha brothers concluded the night by singing “America the Beautiful.”

The organizers were well aware that 2004 is an election year, but didn’t let politics encroach upon the spirit of the vigil.

“Both parties can agree that 9/11 was horrible,” Box says. “9/11 was non-partisan, so the remembrance should be non-partisan.”

“I believe [9/11] has made many people look inward,” says Kieler-Guerra, who was impressed with the turnout. “It’s wonderful that students would organize this – I was honored to be here and participate.”

“Turnout was great. It’s wonderful that the students took time off on a Saturday night to attend,” Kloster says.

Those in the audience, including Provost Luis Glaser, seemed equally touched by the event.

“9/11 was a tragedy, but also something else -it unified the country,” Glaser said. “I’m very proud of the students who organized this. I don’t think we should ever forget this, and I don’t think we ever will.”

The vigil comes on the heels of a discussion panel hosted by the School of Communication and co-sponsored by the Council for Democracy. The panel will explore terrorism and its implications Sept. 16, in the Cosford Cinema at 1:30 pm.

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...