Two UM leaders leave great legacies Dean

When Dr. Edward Pfister, founding dean of the School of Communication, first began to serve at the school, his goal was to make the program nationally known and admired. He accomplished those goals – now he wants to end his successful career teaching in the classrooms, where he says he has had the most enjoyment. This is one of the reasons Pfister recently decided to resign from his position.

“When I first got to this school my goal was to provide basic organization and basic leadership,” Pfister said. “It was a brand new school, and those goals were accomplished 12 to 18 months after that.”

This May, after 19 years as dean of the School of Communication, he can be satisfied as he steps down from his position, knowing that he has fulfilled his ambitions. The School of Communication is now a nationally renowned program, and it continues to rise higher.

“I think [Pfister] has been doing a great job, and that can be seen just by looking at the School of Communication and the students and faculty within it,” Nicole Becker, junior and print journalism major, said. “The programs, speakers and opportunities for students never seem to cease, and I don’t think any communication student can deny that.”

Dr. Robert Hosmon, associate dean of the School of Communication, and Pfister’s colleague of 13 years, speaks highly of Pfister’s achievements.

“He took a small program, and turned it into a nationally recognized program,” Hosmon said. “We are headed to becoming one of the elite programs in the country”

“I only interacted with him briefly, but he was a good man and did a lot for the School of Communication,” Kerri-Anne Alexanderson, senior and motion pictures major, said. “He really wanted us to learn and benefit from his experience as well as the experience of the other communication professors.”

Dr. Pfister will take a sabbatical for one year, and then he will be back at UM doing what he loves most-teaching in the classrooms. During his year off, he will spend time with his grandchildren, read and organize lessons for his future courses, which will include Public Broadcasting and Communication Ethics.

“Everything is now in place,” Pfister said. “My job is essentially done, and it is up to someone else now to take it to the next level.”

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...