Presidential Film Series Brings Politics to the Screen

The Best Man (1964)
Brilliant political novelist, playwright, and screenwriter Gore Vidal adapted his own hit play into this attack on dirty politics. An elder and ailing president refuses to support any of his party’s hopefuls for his successor, and five men vie for the nomination, which will almost certainly mean a victory in the election. Henry Fonda (The Grapes of Wrath) stars as the most moral of the candidates, and when he finds dirt on one of his rivals, he must decide how far he’s willing to go to become the president. The film, directed by Franklin J. Schaffner (Patton), explores the battle between his morality and his desire to win the nomination.

Primary Colors (1998)
This thinly veiled semi-biography on Bill Clinton follows a southern governor (John Travolta as Jack Stanton) in his campaign for the White House, as he faces accusations of adultery and deals with the challenges presented by a massive political race. Opponents dig up dirt and supporters refute it in the endless political battle that defines any campaign. Director Mike Nichols (The Graduate) examines Travolta’s character from the perspective of husband, friend, and politician, and allows viewers to individually determine their feelings about the man, instead of having the film tell them what to think. Kathy Bates turns in a great supporting role as Travolta’s longtime friend and adviser.

The War Room (1993)
Chris Hegedus and D.A. Pennebaker, long known for their concert documentaries (Monterey Pop), turned their focus to politics in this Oscar-nominated look at Bill Clinton’s campaign for president in 1992. The featured players include campaign leader James Carville, press spokesman-turned political commentator George Stephanopoulos, and Clinton himself, as the film gets inside their race for the White House and successfully examines the inner workings of a political machine. Clinton’s staffers are forced to deal not only with the other party (led by Carville’s future wife, Mary Matalin), but also with the potentially disastrous charges of adultery levied against Clinton during the campaign.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...