Hurricanes pumped for FSU

The Miami Hurricanes’ initiation in the ACC will now take place tonight, when they take on their biggest rival, the Florida State Seminoles.

The ‘Canes have won five in a row against the Seminoles and a school-record eight straight games on opening day. These are good signs for the No. 5 Hurricanes when they meet the No. 6 Seminoles in the Orange Bowl.

“FSU is always a big rival, but this is an NFL-type football game,” cornerback Kelly Jennings said. “I’ve tried to just work on getting better in practice and not think about it yet, but a couple days before the game, it will sink in that we are playing on national television.”

Miami beat the Seminoles twice last season, including a 16-14 win in the FedEx Orange Bowl. As a matter of fact, Florida State quarterback Chris Rix has never beaten the Hurricanes in his entire career. With this being his senior season, it could be his last chance to beat the Hurricanes and get that monkey off his back once and for all.

One thing that bodes well for the ‘Noles is that they are 5-3 against the Hurricanes all-time when they open against Miami, although Miami has won the last two season openers against the ‘Noles. Miami holds a 28-20 overall series lead.

If the Hurricanes are going to win for the sixth straight time, they will need to be consistent on both sides of the ball.

“Florida State is an outstanding team with great athletes, and obviously the coaching goes without saying. It is going to be a tough, tough football game,” Head Coach Larry Coker said. “Florida State is a tough team, and that is the way they play. They are physical. We are going to have to respond, and that has been the attitude we have been taking as coaches and as players.”

Rix has struggled as a Florida State starter. As the first ever four-year starter under Head Coach Bobby Bowden, Rix, who has looked brilliant at times, has always been hapless against the Hurricanes. He has a 24-10 overall record as a starting quarterback, with four of his 10 losses coming against the Hurricanes. However, this year could be different. In fact, Florida State is predicted by most experts to win the ACC this season over Miami, and the Seminoles are actually rated higher in the Associated Press poll, where the ‘Noles are fifth.

“FSU is FSU, we know that they are going to be strong and consistent, so we just have to make sure each person on our team is ready for anything they throw our way,” Jennings said.

The Hurricanes will be looking for consistency from quarterback Brock Berlin. Also, the key in recent success against Florida State has been Miami’s ability to run the football and play good defense. With the duo of Frank Gore and Tyrone Moss, the Hurricanes should be able to get the ground game going. As for the defense, the inconsistent Rix could make its job easy, but if Rix is on, the defense will have to step up and make plays.

“We want to win every game and play at a high level,” Jennings said. “But we have been working two-a-days all summer to prepare our first game, which is FSU. We prepare for the first game like it is the biggest game of the season, which is FSU so we will be ready.”

Darren Grossman can be contacted at d.grossman@umiami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...