EDITORIAL: It’s still just a football game

Hurricanes Charley and Frances have put football in perspective, a perspective often lost in the frenzy leading up to and following hyped games like tonight’s University of Miami-Florida State University match-up.
FSU Head Coach Bobby Bowden lost two family members – his grandson and former son-in-law – in an automobile accident during Frances. Our condolences go out to him and his loved ones.
Unfortunately, it takes devastating situations like these to remind us of what’s really important.
We find it disconcerting that the greatest number of questions UM’s rumor hotline received during the hurricane had to do with the postponement the UM-FSU game. Students worried that they would not have the game to amuse them on Labor Day. Forget about the players, their families, and the anxious state of mind of Floridians. Instead of expressing concern over potential structural damage, power outages, and loss of life caused by Frances’ winds, we were most troubled by the rescheduling of a football game. The keyword, however, is still game.
Sports are a celebration of athleticism and a form of entertainment that, although necessary, ought to take a backseat to other, more important, matters.
We get carried away debating whether Willie Williams should have been admitted, whether Frank Gore or Tyrone Moss would make a better running back, and whether Brock Berlin deserves a second chance at quarterback. Tonight, we will whine about too few student seats and too long a wait to get in the Orange Bowl.
In the grand scheme of things, these so-called problems are immaterial.
Our football team is undoubtedly a significant part of the University. Indeed, it brings much-needed money and press to UM, and, as students, we enjoy the emotional outbursts, cutthroat rivalries and hoarsening cheering that come with a strong football culture. In addition, many student-athletes can only study at a university of UM’s caliber thanks to sports and the scholarships that they often bring.
Football, however, should not be the driving force in our lives. Tonight, when we spell C-A-N-E-S and squeal about the Hurricanes’ first downs, we would be well served remembering that – and counting our blessings.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...