Bowden suffers tragedy before big football game

Florida State Head Coach Bobby Bowden will enter the Orange Bowl tonight with a heavy heart after his grandson and former son-in-law died in a violent car crash Sunday during Hurricane Frances.
According to The Miami Herald, John Allen Madden, 45, and Bowden Madden, 15, were hit by a utility truck on Interstate 10 near Quincy, which is in Florida’s panhandle, and then skidded across the median into the oncoming traffic heading east. The two were killed upon impact.
John Madden played four years for the Seminoles, and was the starting center in 1980. He married Bowden’s daughter Ginger in 1981. The two had reportedly divorced earlier this year.
Earlier this week, University of Miami President Donna Shalala sent her condolences to the Bowden family on behalf of the entire school.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...