Bowden suffers tragedy before big football game

Florida State Head Coach Bobby Bowden will enter the Orange Bowl tonight with a heavy heart after his grandson and former son-in-law died in a violent car crash Sunday during Hurricane Frances.
According to The Miami Herald, John Allen Madden, 45, and Bowden Madden, 15, were hit by a utility truck on Interstate 10 near Quincy, which is in Florida’s panhandle, and then skidded across the median into the oncoming traffic heading east. The two were killed upon impact.
John Madden played four years for the Seminoles, and was the starting center in 1980. He married Bowden’s daughter Ginger in 1981. The two had reportedly divorced earlier this year.
Earlier this week, University of Miami President Donna Shalala sent her condolences to the Bowden family on behalf of the entire school.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...