Bowden suffers tragedy before big football game

Florida State Head Coach Bobby Bowden will enter the Orange Bowl tonight with a heavy heart after his grandson and former son-in-law died in a violent car crash Sunday during Hurricane Frances.
According to The Miami Herald, John Allen Madden, 45, and Bowden Madden, 15, were hit by a utility truck on Interstate 10 near Quincy, which is in Florida’s panhandle, and then skidded across the median into the oncoming traffic heading east. The two were killed upon impact.
John Madden played four years for the Seminoles, and was the starting center in 1980. He married Bowden’s daughter Ginger in 1981. The two had reportedly divorced earlier this year.
Earlier this week, University of Miami President Donna Shalala sent her condolences to the Bowden family on behalf of the entire school.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...