FSU game Berlin’s final chance out of the doghouse

Everyone remembers where they were when it happened. With the hated rival University of Florida Gators holding a 33-10 lead with 6:10 left in the third quarter on Sept. 6, 2003, ‘Canes fans started pouring out of the Orange Bowl in disbelief, anger, and disappointment as Brock Berlin seemed to have single-handedly thrown the game away – literally – with two interceptions.

As I arrived home from work that evening (while the game was still in progress), I flipped on the TV only to see the insurmountable lead. Almost simultaneously, I received a call from my boys, who, somewhere within their profanity-laced tirades, said something to the effect of, “We are leaving, and Brock Berlin is not a good quarterback.” They had their reasons. In the first two and a half quarters, Brock locked into Miami receivers with such obvious emphasis that it appeared he forgot that he had transferred out of Gainesville a year earlier.

All of a sudden, something clicked. Berlin took control of the shotgun no-huddle offense, leading the team to 28 unanswered points in the game’s final minutes (capped off by a 12-yard scamper by Frank Gore). By the time the dust had settled, the ‘Canes had squeaked by with one of the greatest upsets in school history, 38-33, and Brock Berlin had saved his career.

Of course, the Florida game serves as the finest example of the two Brocks we’ve come to know: one, the former Gatorade national player of the year who compiled a 45-0 record as the starter for Evangel Christian in Louisiana; the other, the Gator transfer who failed to live up to his promise, throwing more interceptions (17) than touchdown passes (12) last season.

I should emphasize that much of the problem last year was not just Berlin. The UM offense was beset by the kinds of injuries (to starting tailback Gore and the offensive line), distractions (from certain “Soldiers”), and inexperience (that would be the receiving corps) that would put ESPN’s Playmakers to shame. Unfortunately, part of being a quarterback is knowing that you will be blamed for an offense’s shortcomings, which is exactly where fans left off last year.

In the team’s final game, the Orange Bowl, Berlin threw two picks to the Seminoles, and FSU kept the game close, eventually losing 16-14.

And so the fans will pick it up again at this season’s start, as the ‘Canes play FSU for the third time in less than a year. With five straight ‘Cane victories over our hated ACC rivals, you can best believe this game could make or break Berlin’s season, not to mention how he will be remembered in the long-run at Quarterback U.

All eyes are on Brock Berlin.

Ben Minkus can be contacted at b.minkus@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...