Football fans gear up for big opening game

The Universty of Miami-Florida State University rivalry grows in strength every year like a hurricane over warm water, and this year is no exception. The most anticipated football game of the season is rapidly approaching. Students are getting psyched for UM’s first home game this Labor Day against FSU.

“It’s a game of many firsts,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, said. “Not only will it be Miami’s inauguration game into the ACC, but is also the first Monday Night College Football game to be aired on ABC.”

Whitely said that arriving early to the Orange Bowl is essential. Although an extra 1,000 seats have been added to the east end zone – making a total of 8,000 seats designated to students – students are urged to come early to be guaranteed a seat. Gates will open two-and-a-half hours before the game, and most students have already planned to be there in advance, with many tailgating at the Orange Bowl with their friends.

Football season is always an exciting time at UM. The buzz around campus since the beginning of the semester has surrounded this in-state showdown between the ‘Canes and the ‘Noles.

“Seeing these two teams battle it out always makes for an exciting game and for a great environment on campus as well,” Lindsey Hall, junior, said.

Even freshmen have picked up on the intensity of the UM/FSU rivalry, and are just as hyped up as the rest of the UM community.

“The greatness of our football team is one of the reasons why I chose to attend UM,” Alex Joseph, freshman, said. “I couldn’t be more excited about this match up.”

“I’ve already begun bragging to my friends at FSU about how we’re going to dominate them. ” – MICHELLE DENTON, Junior

The outcome of the game also determines who gets the coveted bragging rights that UM has held for the past four years.

“I’ve already begun bragging to my friends at FSU about how we’re going to dominate them,” Michelle Denton, junior, said. “There is a lot on the line.”

Some students are going so far that they are putting friendships on hold for the game.

Jordon Edwards, junior, has a good friend who attends FSU.

“For one game, we’re not going to be friends,” Edwards said.

“The ‘Canes-Seminoles rivalry is one of the greatest, always ending with classic football moments, such as FSU missing yet another field goal,” Ryan McCavitt, sophomore, said.

According to junior Max Panoff, there is only one thing to say about the rivalry between the ‘Canes and the ‘Noles.

“It’s non-existent. We’ve won the last five games against them, and it’s not going to change now,” Panoff said. “There is no competition.”

Meghan Risser can be contacted at m.risser@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...