Ashlee Simpson exceeds low expectations

If you’ve ever watched her now defunct self-titled show on MTV, Ashlee Simpson’s usual less-than-sultry screeching in the recording studio hardly seems like talent, but one listen to her debut CD Autobiography, and this girl’s rock-inspired vocal chords will move any body to the beat. Sexy, soulful, and just downright honest, the tracks weave stories of love, jealousy, and Ashlee’s struggle to find an identity in between string notes, guitar chords, and melodic tunes from the piano. In contrast to (dare to be mentioned, Jessica Simpson) her sister, Ashlee Simpson seems to be fine with public affection, an idea reinforced by the fourth track on the album titled “La La.” Here’s a hint: La La seems to be the new slang for ahem, relations. Also inclusive to the CD is the second track, Ashlee’s hit single, “Pieces of Me,” and her soon-to-be single, “Shadow,” a ballad about hiding behind her sister’s dream. Released by Geffen Records, whose other artists include Blink 182, Sparta, and Papa Roach, (all obviously rock), Ashlee Simpson’s chart-topping platinum album seems to be the start to her own career. One take, and any listener, including some boys, will warm up to the heart of the album: thoughts and feelings that every person has while on the road to self-actualization.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...