Wanna change the world? Start here

So you want to do something big? Make a difference in the world? Volunteering empowers you to make a change in the community around you.

The William R. Butler Volunteer Services Center, better known as the VSC, has a lot to offer UM students. The VSC’s mission is to actively promote the inclusion of community service in every facet of the university experience. With a database of more than 450 community agencies, the VSC has the resources to enable students to have amazing volunteer experiences addressing a spectrum of social issues.

The VSC also has a helpful staff to assist in the placement process to help students find an agency or issue to match their needs and wants. Furthermore, the VSC features a system that allows students to keep track of their community service hours.

The VSC is also home to more than 25 student-run volunteer organizations and programming boards. Volunteer organizations tackle issues year round, while programming boards focus on creating a large volunteer or awareness day or week. These groups deal with many different service issues, from poverty and environmental issues to cancer and HIV/AIDS awareness. Getting involved in a student organization or programming board is an amazing way to meet other students interested in service while learning more about the issue being tackled.

By serving others, you not only are benefiting those around you, but you will also learn about and better the person you are. Isn’t that what the college experience is all about? I

>> For more information, visit the Butler Volunteer Services Center in UC 240 or call 305-284-GIVE.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...