University Village soon to become campus reality

University Village, a proposed student apartment residential village community planned for the San Amaro Drive area of campus – in the works for over a decade – will soon become a reality, now that the City of Coral Gables Commission approved the plan agreed upon by neighbors and the University. Construction for University Village will begin in fall 2004 and an expected completion date is 2006.
“On-campus student housing is in great demand at the University,” Sarah Artecona, UM spokesperson, said. “University Village will provide 800 upper-class, graduate and law students on-campus living facilities in an apartment-like setting.”
The village is a critical component in the University’s plan to recruit and retain top-tier students, and it will reduce the student commuter population. Currently, on-campus housing is available for only 27 percent of the entire student population. Housing 800 students on-campus will decrease commuter student trips during peak traffic hours.
University Village has been on the table since 1991, when the City of Coral Gables approved the original plans for the area. Those plans were halted as a result of the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew.
UM met several years ago with neighbors to review

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...