University Village soon to become campus reality

University Village, a proposed student apartment residential village community planned for the San Amaro Drive area of campus – in the works for over a decade – will soon become a reality, now that the City of Coral Gables Commission approved the plan agreed upon by neighbors and the University. Construction for University Village will begin in fall 2004 and an expected completion date is 2006.
“On-campus student housing is in great demand at the University,” Sarah Artecona, UM spokesperson, said. “University Village will provide 800 upper-class, graduate and law students on-campus living facilities in an apartment-like setting.”
The village is a critical component in the University’s plan to recruit and retain top-tier students, and it will reduce the student commuter population. Currently, on-campus housing is available for only 27 percent of the entire student population. Housing 800 students on-campus will decrease commuter student trips during peak traffic hours.
University Village has been on the table since 1991, when the City of Coral Gables approved the original plans for the area. Those plans were halted as a result of the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew.
UM met several years ago with neighbors to review

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...