Track and field finishes with several Big East Championships

A new breed of superhero can be found on the University of Miami track. Thanks to a combination of speed, agility, strength, and teamwork, the men and women’s track teams excelled in their indoor season, ending the campaign with a Big East Championship.

The men’s track team blew the competition away at the Big East Indoor Track and Field Championship in Syracuse, N.Y. In the 60-meter event, junior Tanard Davis finished with a time of 6.78 seconds to win his first Big East Indoor Championship. Sophomore Terell Walden, last year’s Big East 60-meter winner, finished in a close second with a time of 6.78 seconds, Walden was passed by Davis in the final hundredth of a second.

“Walden and Davis are both football guys and they work very hard. It takes a special person to fit two sports into their schedule and still be able to perform well,” Head Coach Mike Ward said.

Freshman Devin Hester finished just behind his teammates at third with a time of 6.82 seconds. Hester emerged victorious in the long jump competition. Walden established a Big East Championship record with a time of 6.76 seconds in the 60-meter preliminary round. Walden’s time beat former Hurricane Santana Moss’ record of 6.77 seconds, which was tied by Hester, who finished second behind Walden in the preliminaries.

“Though we don’t put much emphasis on the indoor season because we primarily focus on the outdoor season, the men still did a good job,” Ward said. “Our win at the Big East Championship was preparation for the rest of the season. For the men to score 43 points between seven guys is significant. We hope in our outdoor events to qualify 14 guys and earn 100 points.”

The women’s track and field team won its second consecutive Big East Indoor Championship and jumped to No.10 in the Trackwire rankings for the first time this season. Junior All-American Lauryn Williams captured the 60-meter and 200-meter titles. Williams is the top 60-meter runner in the nation (7.21 seconds) and is No.4 in the 200-meter (23.24 seconds).I

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...