The Wellness Center: A total fitness experience

The name ‘Wellness Center’ might be a little confusing to students new to UM. The word ‘gym’ doesn’t do justice. The Wellness Center is much more than a gym. It’s a place that offers students an opportunity to experience a whole new lifestyle. Here’s the what, why, where, and when of the Wellness Center.

What exactly is the Wellness Center?

The Wellness Center is a premier fitness and recreation facility located on the Coral Gables campus. You will need your ‘Cane card to enter the facility.

Once inside, you will find the following:

I A fitness room full of cardio and weight equipment

I A large gymnasium with three full basketball courts that can be converted to volleyball or badminton courts

I A smaller gymnasium with rounded walls so you can play indoor soccer, floor hockey, basketball, volleyball, or badminton

I A jogging/walking track

I An pool designed for lap swimming and water aerobics

I A spa and two saunas

I Racquetball courts (6)

I Squash courts (2)

I A juice bar (‘Cane Express and Dining Dollars accepted)

I A fitness lab

I An instructional kitchen

I Studio Cycling room

I Classrooms (2)

I Conference room

I Multi-purpose rooms (2)

I William Butler Atrium (a place to hang out)

I A wireless ‘cloud’ for internet access

I Locker rooms

Outside the Wellness Center you will find:

I Basketball courts that can be converted to volleyball or badminton courts

I Tennis courts

I Michael Yaron building and lighted playing fields (4)

I George Smathers Courtyard (another place to hang out-wireless cloud works here, too)

The wellness staff would also add that students have a unique opportunity to learn about fitness and develop healthy habits that will last a lifetime.

For example:

I CHAMP (Canes Health Assessment and Motivation Program) is a peer-based fitness/wellness program that is free to UM students. Students receive a fitness assessment followed by peer-based counseling and follow-up assessments.

I The fitness lab is staffed and equipped to perform fitness tests on everybody from high-performing athletes to de-conditioned, at risk participants. Body fat composition, blood pressure screening and VO2 max tests are just a few of the test performed in the fitness lab.

I An instructional kitchen that teaches students how to prepare simple meals and make nutritional food choices.

I A chance to participate in a variety of activities such as intramural sports, club sports, yoga, studio cycling, dance classes, Pilates, aerobics, etc.

When is the Wellness Center open and when can I start using it?

The Wellness Center fee is automatically charged to full-time undergraduate students, day law students, and graduate students registered for nine credits or more.

During the academic year, the Wellness Center is open Monday through Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to midnight, Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Access for the fall semester begins the first day of orientation. I

>> For more information, call 305-284-8500, or visit

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...