The Wellness Center: A total fitness experience

The name ‘Wellness Center’ might be a little confusing to students new to UM. The word ‘gym’ doesn’t do justice. The Wellness Center is much more than a gym. It’s a place that offers students an opportunity to experience a whole new lifestyle. Here’s the what, why, where, and when of the Wellness Center.

What exactly is the Wellness Center?

The Wellness Center is a premier fitness and recreation facility located on the Coral Gables campus. You will need your ‘Cane card to enter the facility.

Once inside, you will find the following:

I A fitness room full of cardio and weight equipment

I A large gymnasium with three full basketball courts that can be converted to volleyball or badminton courts

I A smaller gymnasium with rounded walls so you can play indoor soccer, floor hockey, basketball, volleyball, or badminton

I A jogging/walking track

I An pool designed for lap swimming and water aerobics

I A spa and two saunas

I Racquetball courts (6)

I Squash courts (2)

I A juice bar (‘Cane Express and Dining Dollars accepted)

I A fitness lab

I An instructional kitchen

I Studio Cycling room

I Classrooms (2)

I Conference room

I Multi-purpose rooms (2)

I William Butler Atrium (a place to hang out)

I A wireless ‘cloud’ for internet access

I Locker rooms

Outside the Wellness Center you will find:

I Basketball courts that can be converted to volleyball or badminton courts

I Tennis courts

I Michael Yaron building and lighted playing fields (4)

I George Smathers Courtyard (another place to hang out-wireless cloud works here, too)

The wellness staff would also add that students have a unique opportunity to learn about fitness and develop healthy habits that will last a lifetime.

For example:

I CHAMP (Canes Health Assessment and Motivation Program) is a peer-based fitness/wellness program that is free to UM students. Students receive a fitness assessment followed by peer-based counseling and follow-up assessments.

I The fitness lab is staffed and equipped to perform fitness tests on everybody from high-performing athletes to de-conditioned, at risk participants. Body fat composition, blood pressure screening and VO2 max tests are just a few of the test performed in the fitness lab.

I An instructional kitchen that teaches students how to prepare simple meals and make nutritional food choices.

I A chance to participate in a variety of activities such as intramural sports, club sports, yoga, studio cycling, dance classes, Pilates, aerobics, etc.

When is the Wellness Center open and when can I start using it?

The Wellness Center fee is automatically charged to full-time undergraduate students, day law students, and graduate students registered for nine credits or more.

During the academic year, the Wellness Center is open Monday through Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to midnight, Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Access for the fall semester begins the first day of orientation. I

>> For more information, call 305-284-8500, or visit www.miami.edu/wellness.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...