Student Health Center offers treatment options

Many students have gone to the same family physician their entire lives, and it’s not unusual for them to be hesitant about receiving medical care at an unfamiliar location. Fortunately, the staff of the Student Health Center goes out of its way to make students feel comfortable.

Most full-time students, all international students and all students who have paid the University Fee are eligible for care at the Health Center. Most routine services are available at no charge. Medical care is provided by board certified physicians, physician’s assistants, and nurse practitioners who are available to diagnose and treat minor injuries and provide care for many acute and chronic illnesses.

In addition to providing primary care services, the Health Center offers specialty care, including women’s health and orthopedics, x-rays, lab services, advice on health related issues and referrals to outside medical specialists when necessary.

While it is possible to make appointments, most students prefer to drop-in for their urgent care needs. Peak times are Mondays all day, and all afternoons — especially Fridays. Students with chronic medical conditions are encouraged to come to the Health Center to meet and get to know one of the primary care providers.

The Pharmacy is conveniently located on the second floor of the Health Center. The Pharmacy accepts many insurance plans and can fill most prescriptions written by out-of-town and other off campus providers. Various over-the counter medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, condoms, and other products are also available at competitive rates.

All students are required to obtain adequate health insurance while attending the University. Students are not required to have the University sponsored health insurance plan in order to use the services of the Health Center. Domestic students with alternative health insurance coverage may request a fee waiver by completing a Cancellation Form at or prior to registration. The deadlines to submit a waiver request are Sept. 15 for the fall semester and Feb. 15 for the spring semester.

New students need to provide proof of required and recommended immunizations prior to registration, including measles, rubella, chicken pox, and diphtheria/tetanus. International students must also provide proof of tuberculosis testing within 12 months prior to registrations.

Students should also be informed about the availability of immunization against meningococcal meningitis, a rare but potentially fatal bacterial infection that appears to be more common among college students who live on campus. The State of Florida requires that all students living in on-campus housing either document receipt of both meningitis and hepatitis B immunization, or sign a waiver stating that they have received relevant information and have chosen not to be vaccinated. Additional information about this requirement is available from the Department of Residence Halls. I

>> For more information, visit www.miami.edu/student-health, or call 305-284-5927.

Jacqueline Ledon-Martinez contributed to this article.

??

??

??

??

I

>> If you have additional questions about AlcoholEdu or the University of Miami’s Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Education programs, please contact Pier 21 at (305) 284-6120, or pier21@miami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...