Student Government seeks to serve student, university

While most students spend their summers relaxing at home or going to the beach, Student Government [SG] President Vance Aloupis has spent his summer taking classes, and working towards accomplishing his platforms.

“I know that administrators have more time to meet during the summer which means that I can work on my platforms,” Aloupis said. “I figured that I could sacrifice some of my summer and use that time to make the university better for everybody.”

Within weeks of being inaugurated, Aloupis, along with the rest of SG, extended library hours to be open 24 hours the week before finals in addition to the week of finals. Additionally, after it was brought to his attention that students wanted the Convenience Store open as well, Aloupis saw to it that the Convenience store was open 24 hours as well.

“When students come to me and want to see change, I do whatever I can to make that happen,” Aloupis said. “It doesn’t matter how big or how insignificant a problem or concern is, SG is here to help.”

While Aloupis may be president, he is works closely with the rest of SG, including Vice President Minal Ahson, Treasurer Steph Berg and the more than 40 members of senate.

“I couldn’t accomplish anything without the help and support of the executive board and senate,” Aloupis said. “They really make my job so much easier.”

President Shalala not only acknowledges the work that SG does, she also credits them for helping improve the University.

“SG makes us better administrators – it makes us more responsive to the students,” Shalala said at the SG Inauguration. “At the end of the day, that’s what we’re here for.”

Besides being involved in SG, Aloupis has been actively involved in many facets of the University. He has served as VP of his fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha, SG Junior Class Senator, director of publicity for the Get Out the Vote initiative on campus, and director for Up ‘Till Dawn, an organization that raises money for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. Aloupis was also recently selected as the new student representative to the UM Board of Trustees. This is the first time in UM history that the undergrad SG president has been named as a voting member of the board.

Additionally, Ahson has held many positions on campus, among which include president of the Council of International Student Organizations. Berg is also active in many organizations throughout campus, including Funday executive board, Delta Delta Delta and Student Health Advisory Committee

Despite his hectic summer schedule, Aloupis loves every minute of his new position.

“I am so excited for this year,” Aloupis said, “With the Presidential Debate coming and the visit from the Dalai Lama, I can’t think of a better time to be a ‘Cane.” I

>> For more information about SG and how you can get involved visit www.miami.edu/sg or stop by the SG office in UC 214.

Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. and are open to everyone.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...