Student Employment provides students job opportunities

Working while attending classes is a common choice for UM students. Part-time positions help students pay for books, food, and entertainment, among other expenses. Students can begin working only after completing the registration process, so they may not expect earnings from these part-time positions to pay tuition and fees.

Student Employment positions provide students with great experiences which complement their classroom learning, allowing them to feel independent and to meet and interact other students, faculty and staff from all around the University.

There are three employment program options at UM for undergraduate students: Federal Work Study Program, Student Assistant Program, and Miami Commitment.

Federal Work Study [FWS], including Community Service Work Study, is a federally funded financial aid program awarded to students based on their eligibility determined by the on time completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA] and other financial aid criteria.

Funding for this program is limited. Students are awarded a specific amount and may not earn beyond the approved amount as indicated in their Financial Aid Award letter. Jobs may be with on-campus departments or with off-campus community service agencies.

Students are allowed only one FWS assignment at a time; work schedules are flexible to accommodate students’ class schedules. Typically, a student works 10 to 15 hours per week. Pay rates depend on the responsibility of the position and is determined by the hiring department.

Students without federal funding are considered Student Assistants and can find jobs in many of the same departments as Federal Work Study students. However, the University must give preference to students in need of financial assistance in their hiring practices. The best time to look for these positions is early in the semester. Whether a student is hired as FWS or Student Assistant, the pay rates and conditions of employment are the same.

Miami Commitment is a selective student employment skill development program at UM. Students admitted through the early action and early decision admission processes receive a special invitation to apply. A selection committee reviews applications and selects the students whose applications best communicate employment and academic responsibility and dedication, as well as a willingness to learn on the job and to participate early on in career development activities. Miami Commitment students typically move into leadership positions in their jobs, and gain increasing responsibilities. I

>> For more information about Student Employment, visit www.miami.edu/student-employment.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...