Student Employment provides students job opportunities

Working while attending classes is a common choice for UM students. Part-time positions help students pay for books, food, and entertainment, among other expenses. Students can begin working only after completing the registration process, so they may not expect earnings from these part-time positions to pay tuition and fees.

Student Employment positions provide students with great experiences which complement their classroom learning, allowing them to feel independent and to meet and interact other students, faculty and staff from all around the University.

There are three employment program options at UM for undergraduate students: Federal Work Study Program, Student Assistant Program, and Miami Commitment.

Federal Work Study [FWS], including Community Service Work Study, is a federally funded financial aid program awarded to students based on their eligibility determined by the on time completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA] and other financial aid criteria.

Funding for this program is limited. Students are awarded a specific amount and may not earn beyond the approved amount as indicated in their Financial Aid Award letter. Jobs may be with on-campus departments or with off-campus community service agencies.

Students are allowed only one FWS assignment at a time; work schedules are flexible to accommodate students’ class schedules. Typically, a student works 10 to 15 hours per week. Pay rates depend on the responsibility of the position and is determined by the hiring department.

Students without federal funding are considered Student Assistants and can find jobs in many of the same departments as Federal Work Study students. However, the University must give preference to students in need of financial assistance in their hiring practices. The best time to look for these positions is early in the semester. Whether a student is hired as FWS or Student Assistant, the pay rates and conditions of employment are the same.

Miami Commitment is a selective student employment skill development program at UM. Students admitted through the early action and early decision admission processes receive a special invitation to apply. A selection committee reviews applications and selects the students whose applications best communicate employment and academic responsibility and dedication, as well as a willingness to learn on the job and to participate early on in career development activities. Miami Commitment students typically move into leadership positions in their jobs, and gain increasing responsibilities. I

>> For more information about Student Employment, visit www.miami.edu/student-employment.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...