School of Nursing builds for future

The School of Nursing is expanding the many benefits of studying UM, increasing opportunities for students interested in careers in the health care profession. Coming soon to campus are new program initiatives, an increased emphasis on research, and new facilities.

“The UM School of Nursing is well known for its high quality education at the Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral levels throughout the local community and nationwide,” said Dr. Rosemary Fedrigon Hall, professor in the School of Nursing.

Indeed, the school seems to have its finger on the pulse of national trends – within the fields of education and research and industry alike. With plans in the works for new centers of excellence in the areas of Pediatric Safety, Aging and Health, and Women’s Health, the school will be addressing demographic trends and preparing nursing students for the challenges of contemporary health care.

“The School is known for its high quality education at the Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral levels throughout the local community and worldwide.” -Dr. Rosemary Fedrigon Hall Professor

This fall, the nursing school will launch a graduate program in disease management nursing, the first in the nation to prepare nursing professionals in this emerging field.

Industry developments show that healthcare professionals are going to be in high demand in upcoming years. According to the 2004 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, one million new and replacement nurses will be needed in the U.S. by 2010, and the state of Florida alone will face an estimated shortage of 55,000 nurses. According to the 2002 Nursing Shortage Consortium South Florida, one in four nurse educators in Florida are projected to retire soon.

Sparkling new facilities are also on the way; work on the M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education building will begin soon. The four-story, 53,800 square foot facility will give South Florida’s foremost health research institution a state-of-the art nursing education and research facility. I

>> For more information on the School of Nursing, visit www.miami.edu/nursing.

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...