School of Law has formula for succes

The UM School of Law’s reputation as one of the finest legal educations in the country is a reflection of the excellence of the School’s faculty, students, and alumni. Many of the law school community’s most accomplished members share the common background of an undergraduate degree from UM. The following is a sampling of just three of the many bright and successful individuals who earned their bachelor’s from UM.

Monica Segura, Law Student

Segura graduated magna cum laude from UM in 2002 with a double major in journalism and criminology. As an undergraduate student, Segura was a news anchor and writer for UMTV and worked for The Florida Almanac in Key West for a summer as a reporter. Now a third-year law student, Segura has been active in Res Ispa Loquitor, the student newspaper at the School of Law, H.O.P.E. [Helping Others through Pro Bono Efforts], the Hispanic Law Students Association, the Miami Law Women Association, and the Catholic Law Students Association. Her fellow law students recently elected her president of the Student Bar Association for the 2004-05 academic year. In addition to her hectic life at the School of Law, Segura has been working for the past year as a law clerk for Nicklaus & Associates, P.A., in Coral Gables. I

Ricardo Bascuas,

Associate Professor of Law

After receiving his B.S. from UM in 1993, Bascuas attended Yale Law School. He started his legal career in Miami as an associate at Zuckerman Spaeder, LLP. After three years, he left the firm to clerk for U.S. District Judge Adalberto Jordan, an accomplished Miami Law School alumnus who clerked for Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. Before returning to UM to teach at the School of Law, Bascuas was an Assistant Federal Public Defender in Miami, representing indigent defendants at both the trial and appellate levels. In addition to teaching in the areas of evidence and procedure, during the 2004-05 academic year, Bascuas will teach Sports Law and International Criminal Law. I

Jenna Moore, Alumna

After working full-time while going to school part-time, Moore earned her B.A. in Art History from UM in 1997. She graduated cum laude from the School of Law in 2000, where she was a member of the UM Law Review. For the past four years, Moore has been working at Alston & Bird in Atlanta. In her first year with the law firm, Moore was assigned to the biggest privacy lawsuit in the country, a $2.5 billion case involving Envoy, the largest health claim processing center in the country. The case addressed cutting edge legal issues in the areas of medical privacy rights, intellectual property, and electronic commerce. Following the Envoy lawsuit, Moore was assigned to another high-profile case, the Enron Corporation Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the largest bankruptcy petition in U.S. history. Moore spent a year and a half investigating the conduct of officers and directors at the Enron Corporation. I

>> To speak with an admissions counselor, a current law student, or alumni, or to sit in on a class, contact the Office of Student Recruiting at 305-284-6746 or admissions@law.miami.edu. The School of Law will also host two Open Houses, Oct. 16 and Nov. 23.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...