School of Business creates council

The University of Miami School of Business has launched the Hyperion Council, a service organization for undergraduate students who desire to use their classroom training to help the disadvantaged in greater Miami.
The Hyperion Council encourages undergraduate business students to gain leadership experience by developing projects that strengthen the bonds between the local business and university communities. It honors students and alumni who exemplify the core values of integrity, fortitude, resilience, excellence and initiative.

The objectives of the Council are to:
I Promote the ideals of good corporate citizenship;
I Recognize the students from the School of Business who most exemplify the Council’s core values;
I Foster a unique esprit de corps among students, faculty and alumni from the School of Business;
I Strengthen the bonds between the University of Miami and the local community.

“Our goal is to help the best and the brightest of our students learn that ethical business practices aren’t theoretical classroom exercises,” says Ellen McPhillip, director of undergraduate admissions for the School of Business and advisor to the Hyperion Council. “Using the principles of private enterprise to help the disadvantaged will not only help them personally but also help the community grow in a positive way.”
Students interested in joining the Hyperion Council must apply. To be eligible, a student must have completed at least 45 credits (three semesters) at the University of Miami and have earned a cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher. Those selected are known as Titans. The first group of Titans, 13 in all, was inducted into membership on May 4.
The goal for projects initiated by the Titans is to become self-sustaining, continuing to benefit the community after the students who created them have graduated. “It’s a way for young people to leave a tangible legacy at an early age,” says McPhillip.
The Hyperion Council was recently accepted as a chapter of Students In Free Enterprise (SIFE), a global, non-profit, student service organization on more than 1,500 campuses dedicated to spreading the values of free enterprise. The Hyperion Council’s community projects will be eligible to be entered in SIFE’s annual competition.I

>> For more information, visit the Hyperion Council at www.bus.miami.edu/hyperion.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...