Mentors give glimpse of med-school

Pre-med is an intimidating word in its own right. Students have hundreds of questions running through their minds such as “What do I need to do to get accepted?” and “What is medical school really like?”

In an effort to qualm some of student’s “pre-med fears,” Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society, the College of Arts and Sciences, and the UM School of Medicine collaborated to form the Medical Mentoring Program [MMP].

This program is designed to allow UM medical students to mentor UM pre-meds and provide a glimpse into the joys and demands of the medical field. MMP makes students aware of extracurricular opportunities available in medical school, such as volunteering abroad and membership in assorted academic societies, while allowing pre-meds to have their medical school questions answered from the most accurate source.

Program participants say that the experience has been priceless, helping them realize the true demands of a medical student. It is clear that students become more comfortable with UM’s medical school.

Theresa Dulski believes that the experience has given her insight into her medical school application process. She feels that the program has allowed her to “understand the true demands of medical school,” and it has reaffirmed her passion for the medical field.

Based on the relationship between the mentor and mentoree, the pre-med student has an opportunity to shadow the medical
student.

MMP involves 50 pre-med undergraduates and 25-50 medical students. Undergraduates must have a minimum 3.2 GPA and must have completed a minimum of 2 semesters and 24 credits at UM.

The year-long program consists of three events for all participants, including an opening session where students are paired with their mentors and are given a tour of the medical school and hospital. Between these events, students maintain contact with their mentors by meeting up for lunch, emails, and phone calls. Based on the relationship between the mentor and mentoree, the pre-med student has an opportunity to shadow the medical student or go to a medical school class. The year concludes with a reception during which students, mentors, and the UM medical faculty celebrate the completion of the program. I

>> For more information about MMP or Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-medical Honor Society, email Leslie Chavez at mmpdirector@aedmiami.org or Laura Hamilton at president@aedmiami.org, or visit www.AEDmiami.org.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...