Hurricane Productions: Your guide to on-campus entertainment

With all that there is to do in the city of Miami, students sometimes feel lost in a maze of what to do-bars, clubs, restaurants, museums, neighborhoods-it all can be a bit overwhelming, especially to those students coming from a different area. Hurricane Productions is here to get U started with all that you need, providing you the best in campus entertainment.

Hurricane Productions is a student-funded, student-operated, campus entertainment programming board offering you the latest and best in cutting-edge music, blockbuster movies, legendary guest speakers and much more. Hurricane Productions always has something for every taste, and the best part about all of it…it’s totally free.

Each year, HP produces two blockbuster concerts, Hurricane Howl, the annual fall concert during Homecoming, and one concert in the spring. Past performers include Ludicrus, Third Eye Blind, Floetry, Styles P, Clipse and OutKast. But the music scene is not limited to radio-friendly bands. Patio Jams is a weekly live music concert series that features UM, local and national underground talents who perform on the University Center Patio each Thursday afternoon.

Want something a little more interactive or educational? HP brings to you excellent speakers and innovative cultural programs. Past lectures include John Singleton, Henry Rollings, Mo Rocca and Ronald Takaki. Students have the opportunity to both listen and interact with speakers as they speak on topics of politics, careers and entertainment. Miami is truly and international city and HP captures some of that international flair with its innovative cultural programs including Def Poetry Slam, Step Afrika and the Tibetan Monks.

The newest addition to Hurricane Productions is Quantum Entertainment, the first UM theatre and film production organization. Quantum produces two major shows each year; past shows include Grease, the Rocky Horror Picture Show and West Side Story. Students serve as actors, dancers, directors, stage crew and technical support in this entirely student-run production.

The Rathskeller Advisory Board provides entertainment at the University Rathskeller, the on-campus pub. RAB produces weekly happy hours and food and drink specials as well as Belly Bust Friday comedy. Other signature RAB events include Thirsty Thursdays and Freaky Fridays. And the Rat is the place to be when the ‘Canes are not at the Orange Bowl, as RAB brings you your official UM watch party, complete with free food and drink specials.

Want to get involved? Hurricane Productions is always looking for students to serve on any of its committees. Not only can you be involved in programming events; we also have many support positions in public relations and publicity, business management and logistics. Gain experience contacting agents, negotiating contracts, marketing events, coordinating logistics and producing shows. I

For more information call 305-284-4604 or visit our website www.um-hp.com

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...