Get Out the Vote campaign urges students to register

The UM community is on the way to establishing political activism, thanks to the Get Out the Vote campaign that is hoping to increase the number of registered voters on campus. This year, the Convocation Center will be used as a polling place for future elections.

“It’s important for students to be politically aware and active,” Mike Johnston, director for Get Out the Vote, said. “If you’re not, you’re not being responsive and responsible.”

Vance Aloupis, director of publicity for Get Out the Vote, mentioned the goal of the student-based campaign is to help increase political awareness and to dispel political indifference among UM students by hosting voter registration drives as well as other events.

“We are stressing political awareness on campus,” Aloupis said. “We want to show that UM knows what’s going on.”

Get Out the Vote wants students to have a say in their community.

“The UM student body doesn’t have a say in the city that they live in,” Aloupis said. “Registering to vote will give students that voice.”

According to Johnston, the voice that UM could potentially gain is a significant one.

“The City of Coral Gables has 20,000 registered voters, of which only 10,000 voted at the last election,” Johnston said. “With the size of our student body we could swing the vote the other way.”

Johnston also said that beyond having a political say, another benefit of being a registered voter of Miami-Dade County is that your bail is automatically set at $1 if you’re arrested.

“That’s a fact that a lot of people aren’t aware of,” Johnston said.

Johnston stressed that for students, the City of Coral Gables is their home.

“Students need to remember that Coral Gables is their home for the next four, five or maybe even six years,” Johnston said. “That means that everything that happens in Coral Gables is going to affect us in one way or another.”

Aloupis dispelled some misconceptions regarding voter eligibility.

“In the state of Florida, if you have a residence in the state then you can vote,” Aloupis said.

However, according to organizers, the legality of determining voter registration eligibility is complicated.

To date, the campaign has registered over 1000 students to vote. I

For more information, contact VoteUM@miami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...