Get Out the Vote campaign urges students to register

The UM community is on the way to establishing political activism, thanks to the Get Out the Vote campaign that is hoping to increase the number of registered voters on campus. This year, the Convocation Center will be used as a polling place for future elections.

“It’s important for students to be politically aware and active,” Mike Johnston, director for Get Out the Vote, said. “If you’re not, you’re not being responsive and responsible.”

Vance Aloupis, director of publicity for Get Out the Vote, mentioned the goal of the student-based campaign is to help increase political awareness and to dispel political indifference among UM students by hosting voter registration drives as well as other events.

“We are stressing political awareness on campus,” Aloupis said. “We want to show that UM knows what’s going on.”

Get Out the Vote wants students to have a say in their community.

“The UM student body doesn’t have a say in the city that they live in,” Aloupis said. “Registering to vote will give students that voice.”

According to Johnston, the voice that UM could potentially gain is a significant one.

“The City of Coral Gables has 20,000 registered voters, of which only 10,000 voted at the last election,” Johnston said. “With the size of our student body we could swing the vote the other way.”

Johnston also said that beyond having a political say, another benefit of being a registered voter of Miami-Dade County is that your bail is automatically set at $1 if you’re arrested.

“That’s a fact that a lot of people aren’t aware of,” Johnston said.

Johnston stressed that for students, the City of Coral Gables is their home.

“Students need to remember that Coral Gables is their home for the next four, five or maybe even six years,” Johnston said. “That means that everything that happens in Coral Gables is going to affect us in one way or another.”

Aloupis dispelled some misconceptions regarding voter eligibility.

“In the state of Florida, if you have a residence in the state then you can vote,” Aloupis said.

However, according to organizers, the legality of determining voter registration eligibility is complicated.

To date, the campaign has registered over 1000 students to vote. I

For more information, contact VoteUM@miami.edu.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Sunday at the 2018 A ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...