GET AROUND: Miami Transit allows for easy access to all areas

As part of a bustling city, public transportation abounds both inside and outside of UM’s campus. For students who have the liberty of having a car, parking lots are located next to most of the major buildings, while the three parking garages are located on the edge of the eastside of campus. For days when it’s just too hot or the walk is just too long, students can catch the Hurry ‘Cane Shuttle that runs at five minute intervals on class days and 10 to 15 minute intervals on the weekends. The Hurry ‘Cane also travels to the nearby Publix and Sunset Shops on Friday and Saturday evenings from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. to allow students the ability to enjoy pleasurable shopping without the stress of having to walk or encounter traffic. For those who like to go venture farther off campus, the Ibis Ride, which runs from 8 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, shuttles students back and forth to Coconut Grove, the favored local hangout for students on the weekends.

Off campus, taxis are the most favored mode of transport and with the taxi number consisting of only one number – 444-4444 – it’s easy to remember. However, for only $1.50, the Metrorail, located across Ponce De Leon Boulevard, will take passengers from South Miami all the way to North Miami Beach, making stops at the Dadeland Mall, Dowtown Miami, and just two blocks from the Orange Bowl. For a more relaxing trip, the Coral Gables trolley takes patrons around Miracle Mile and Ponce De Leon free of charge, stopping at some of the greatest shopping and eateries around. Started only last November, the trolley has been a great success and allows passengers to indulge in how founder George Merrick truly wanted the city of Coral Gables to appear. All three routes combined run from about 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and run in north/south and east/west. I

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...