Education professor Forgan at University for 35 years

Dr. Harry Forgan is one dedicated ‘Cane. UM wallpaper covers every wall in his office. A giant plush Ibis head rests in a corner above his desk, as little UM lights wrap around bookshelves, chairs, and the doorframe. An extra-large plush Curious George sits atop a UM-themed outdoor bench, sporting a very fashionable orange and green boa around his neck.

Aside from being a hard-core fan, Forgan, a professor at the School of Education, is dedicated to his job and his students.

“I became an elementary school teacher because I wanted to help children learn how to read and the other basics,” Dr. Forgan said.

Graduating with a doctorate from Kent State University, Dr. Forgan came to UM at the age of 26. Now 61, Dr. Forgan grew up at UM, dedicating 35 years of his career to helping UM students of today become the successful teachers of tomorrow.

“I decided my freshman year of college that I wanted to be an elementary school teacher,” Forgan said. “I wanted to help those children that were having difficulties…especially those children who were behind because of their learning disabilities.”

“I thought I’d have more influence on teachers,” Forgan said, reminiscing on why he decided to teach at the college level. “I hear a lot of success stories UM students have had with their own students. So, that’s very satisfying.”

His opinion on what makes a great teacher?

“A great teacher first of all cares about the students. If you don’t really have a sense of caring and commitment to the students then you don’t have the faith in them, you don’t have the high expectations,” Forgan said. “Being a caring person and a competent teacher really makes the difference.”

“The best part of my job is working at West Lab School when the UM teachers actually teach kindergarten throgh fifth graders. We’re fortunate to have an elementary school right on our campus. I teach my classes at that lab school and the UM students actually get a chance to teach. They enjoy that so much and I love being there with them.”

Dr. Forgan has some advice for all incoming aspiring teachers:

“Volunteer. Get into the schools as soon as possible. There are opportunities [everywhere], even on our campus at Canterbury preschool. The sooner you get involved in the actual instruction of the children, the better.”

Forgan has also authored and co-authored many books, both practical and textbook alike, that have been used in universities all across the U.S. And teaching runs in Forgan’s family. His wife and two children are all educators.

“All of the people in our family are teachers. And we have four grandchildren, and they’re all going to be teachers,” Forgan said with a chuckle.

Forgan will be on sabbatical for this academic year, researching and studying independently. However, after his sabbatical, he will resume teaching TAL 420, Introduction to Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School, and TAL 421, Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School II.

“Check in to all the different schools and see what the different programs are because we have so many different options here at the University of Miami. It’s hard to decide before you come…so keep your options open, and think about being a teacher. ” I

>> For more information on the School of Education and their programs stop by Merrick 312.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...