Architecture students spend an intensive semester abroad in Rome

Arch of Titus. San Ambrogio. Etruscan Necropolis. Hadrian’s Villa. To any artist, historian, traveler or wonderer, these names are among the many renowned structures that capture the magic enmeshed in Rome.

The School of Architecture, founded in 1991, transformed these textbook images into three-dimensional tools of study by sponsoring fall and spring semester study abroad programs in Rome, Italy.

For one semester, a select group of students and faculty members have the opportunity to undergo an intensive experience in design, theory, and the history of architecture through design studio and seminar courses, complemented by site visits and notable readings and lectures.

Course subjects include: Design in the Historical Context, Theory of Urban Form, Ancient, Renaissance, Baroque and Modern Architectural History, Drawing as a Means of Architectural Knowledge, and the History of Gardens.

The curriculum for each semester includes one design studio and three seminar courses, which total 15 credits.

The School of Architecture has ensured that this unique experience exploits all of its many opportunities with the exploration of surrounding areas. Excursions are taken to Tuscany, the Veneto, Umbria, Lazio and Sicily.

In addition to this, there is a two-week trip to other European cities such as Barcelona, Spain, and Paris, France.

The program is open to students entering their fourth and fifth years.

The director of the program is Jose Gelabert-Navia and the coordinator is Carmen Guerrero. Faculty members include Sonia Chao, David Fix, Gary Greenan, Carmen Guerrero, Jean-Francois Lejeune, Nicholas Patricios, and Tom Spain.

>> For more information about this program, visit www.arc.miami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...