Architecture students spend an intensive semester abroad in Rome

Arch of Titus. San Ambrogio. Etruscan Necropolis. Hadrian’s Villa. To any artist, historian, traveler or wonderer, these names are among the many renowned structures that capture the magic enmeshed in Rome.

The School of Architecture, founded in 1991, transformed these textbook images into three-dimensional tools of study by sponsoring fall and spring semester study abroad programs in Rome, Italy.

For one semester, a select group of students and faculty members have the opportunity to undergo an intensive experience in design, theory, and the history of architecture through design studio and seminar courses, complemented by site visits and notable readings and lectures.

Course subjects include: Design in the Historical Context, Theory of Urban Form, Ancient, Renaissance, Baroque and Modern Architectural History, Drawing as a Means of Architectural Knowledge, and the History of Gardens.

The curriculum for each semester includes one design studio and three seminar courses, which total 15 credits.

The School of Architecture has ensured that this unique experience exploits all of its many opportunities with the exploration of surrounding areas. Excursions are taken to Tuscany, the Veneto, Umbria, Lazio and Sicily.

In addition to this, there is a two-week trip to other European cities such as Barcelona, Spain, and Paris, France.

The program is open to students entering their fourth and fifth years.

The director of the program is Jose Gelabert-Navia and the coordinator is Carmen Guerrero. Faculty members include Sonia Chao, David Fix, Gary Greenan, Carmen Guerrero, Jean-Francois Lejeune, Nicholas Patricios, and Tom Spain.

>> For more information about this program, visit www.arc.miami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...