Rainbow in the clouds Maya Angelou shares life lessons at first Graduate Convocation

Blending poetry with song, Maya Angelou -poet, educator, historian, best-selling author, actress, playwright, civil-rights activist, producer and director – gave graduating seniors some words of wisdom during the first-ever Graduate Convocation. Angelou painted the image of rainbows in the clouds – the people who quietly influence our lives, causing a domino effect of good deeds and success – for the audience with her rhythmic words and life experiences, and a little bit of humor.

“If you’re serious, you can’t make a difference,” Angelou says.

It didn’t matter whether people in the audience were familiar with Angelou’s work. She mesmerized everyone who listened.

Angelou said her grandmother was one of the brightest rainbows in her life, always telling Angelou she was meant to inspire.

“My ‘momma,’ with her fifth-grade education, told me I’d be a teacher one day,” Angelou said. “And look at me now.”

Angelou has earned 56 honorary doctorate degrees and was awarded a lifetime membership to the National Women’s Hall of Fame in 2002. She has also authored 12 best-selling books, including I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

“She takes the young generation back to the old school and comes right back into the present,” says Dinah Berry, events coordinator at the UM RSMAS campus. “She’s right up there with Oprah Winfrey and other inspirational women of our time.”

Another of Angelou’s rainbows: Uncle Willy, who affected her and many others, including the first black mayor of Little Rock, Ark. According to Angelou, Uncle Willy gave them all a chance to succeed and taught them their “times-tables.” Angelou even wrote a song for Roberta Flack about her Uncle Willy.

“She takes the young generation back to the old school…

She’s right up there with Oprah Winfrey and other inspirational women of our time.” -Dinah berry, RSMAS event coordinator

Angelou traveled to Miami all the way from Winston-Salem, N.C., on a bus; she said she stopped flying about seven years ago because of the craziness she faced at airports.

“People would poke me and pull on my clothes. They would give me their babies,” she said. “I came all the way down here on a bus, so when I say I’m happy to be here, I mean it.”

One of Angelou’s proudest moments: being invited to write and deliver a poem at the UN’s 50th anniversary.

“I remember thinking as a little girl in 1945 that if I wasn’t this, and I wasn’t that, I could go into the UN building,” Angelou says. “And there I was, preparing a poem to read in that very building.”

She also recalled a time when a woman came up to her and thanked her for saving her daughter’s life, giving her a letter written by her daughter, vowing to never attempt suicide again. Angelou took the letter home, opened it and cried at the contents – aside from the vow, it described Angelou’s facial features as monstrous and frightening.

“It broke my heart, it was so full of racism and ignorance,” Angelou says. “I almost thought about killing myself just like that girl.”

Angelou left the audience – especially graduating seniors – with words that will echo in their hearts as they pick up their diplomas and move off into whatever awaits.

“You are all the dreamers of UM who dare to keep a rainbow in the clouds.”

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at j.arauz@umiami.edu

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...