News Briefs

UMTV wins eight state Associated Press awards

The Florida Associated Press Broadcasters announced the winners of its 2004 College Broadcasting Awards. UMTV’s NewsVision took five first place television awards, while two went to UF and one to UCF. NewsVision also took three second place awards. Congratulations!

The winners:
Best Spot News: First Place, Lena Fernandez
“Gap Protest”
Best Hard News Feature: First Place, Stephen Webster
Best Short Serious Feature: First Place, Stephen Webster
“Touch Therapy”
Best Sports Story: First Place, Jason Kennedy
“Brock Berlin”
Best Newscast: First Place, Stephen Webster
Best Short Light Feature: Second Place, Catherine Chubb
Best Short Serious Feature: Second Place,
Mike McCormick for “Web Cams”
Best Hard News Feature: Second Place, Erin Resnick f “Turtles”

Homeless NYU student granted free dorm room
According to New York University [NYU] officials, a college student who has spent the last eight months sleeping in a library basement because he couldn’t afford housing has been given a free dorm room. Steve Stanzak, sophomore, said that he was unable to pay the $1,000 housing deposit and resorted to taking up residence in the sub-basement of the Bobst Library at the beginning of the academic year. He also slept on library chairs and carried a laptop computer, books and clothes in his backpack. Stanzak kept an online journal,, where he documented all his experiences. It was through this journal that NYU officials discovered his predicament and relocated him to a free dorm room last Tuesday. Stanzak, who referred to himself as “Bobst Boy” on his website, became somewhat of a campus celebrity among the thousands of students who read about his daily escapades. According to Stanzak, he washed in the library’s bathroom and took showers at the apartments and dorm rooms of friends. He works four jobs and has obtained several student loans but did not receive any aid from his family and only has enough money to pay his tuition of about $31,000 a year for full-time undergraduates.

Attention all seniors! Don’t forget to order your free yearbooks online at The deadline is June 1. After the deadline there will be a $5 shipping fee.

Don’t forget! Today is the last day to take the LibQual survey! Go online to and let Richter Library know what you think about the quality of their services.

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...