LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To the Editor:

In response to a recent letter to the editor (The Hurricane, April 27) where the outgoing Chairman of the College Republicans (CRs) claimed it was “ridiculous” to think the College Democrats (Dems) have in any way surpassed the CRs in programming this past year, I have a few things I’d like to say.
First, on the subject that the Dems got more recognition for the John Kerry rally than we deserved, well, I take that as a personal insult. Members from the Dems and I didn’t bust our asses for close to a week, missing classes to attend countless planning meetings; running around campus hanging up flyers; not sleeping because we were replying to e-mails and updating our website; running around Coral Gables, Coconut Grove and South Beach handing out flyers; trying to follow a thousand orders from the Kerry Campaign and the Secret Service, and most importantly, I didn’t put all my energy, sweat and passion into making sure the introduction I gave was fit for Sen. Kerry and that it let the whole country know that UM is the greatest school this side of the Atlantic, to have you tell me that I, or anybody else that helped make that event the resounding success it was, didn’t deserve that recognition.
Second, to suggest we’ve been dormant for the entire year is, not surprisingly, “ridiculous.” Don’t forget about the many guest speakers we’ve had: Jimmy Morales, candidate for mayor of Miami-Dade County; Sam Sheldon and Dave Patlak, democratic candidates for the 18th District Congressional seat; Peter Deutsch, democratic candidate for U.S. Senate seat; representatives from the Edwards, Kerry, Clark and Dean campaigns throughout the primaries, and, of course, John Kerry himself, after he sealed the democratic nomination for President.
And finally, don’t forget that it wasn’t the Dems who criticized your organization, but one of your fellow Republicans. So, don’t attack us because of your internal issues.

Sincerely,

Luke A. Kosar
President, University of Miami
College Democrats

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...