LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To the Editor:

In response to a recent letter to the editor (The Hurricane, April 27) where the outgoing Chairman of the College Republicans (CRs) claimed it was “ridiculous” to think the College Democrats (Dems) have in any way surpassed the CRs in programming this past year, I have a few things I’d like to say.
First, on the subject that the Dems got more recognition for the John Kerry rally than we deserved, well, I take that as a personal insult. Members from the Dems and I didn’t bust our asses for close to a week, missing classes to attend countless planning meetings; running around campus hanging up flyers; not sleeping because we were replying to e-mails and updating our website; running around Coral Gables, Coconut Grove and South Beach handing out flyers; trying to follow a thousand orders from the Kerry Campaign and the Secret Service, and most importantly, I didn’t put all my energy, sweat and passion into making sure the introduction I gave was fit for Sen. Kerry and that it let the whole country know that UM is the greatest school this side of the Atlantic, to have you tell me that I, or anybody else that helped make that event the resounding success it was, didn’t deserve that recognition.
Second, to suggest we’ve been dormant for the entire year is, not surprisingly, “ridiculous.” Don’t forget about the many guest speakers we’ve had: Jimmy Morales, candidate for mayor of Miami-Dade County; Sam Sheldon and Dave Patlak, democratic candidates for the 18th District Congressional seat; Peter Deutsch, democratic candidate for U.S. Senate seat; representatives from the Edwards, Kerry, Clark and Dean campaigns throughout the primaries, and, of course, John Kerry himself, after he sealed the democratic nomination for President.
And finally, don’t forget that it wasn’t the Dems who criticized your organization, but one of your fellow Republicans. So, don’t attack us because of your internal issues.

Sincerely,

Luke A. Kosar
President, University of Miami
College Democrats

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...