Letter to the Editor 2

To the Editor:

I was extremely surprised and disappointed to read the editorial in Tuesday’s paper (The Hurricane, April 27) discussing the possible closing of the Butler Volunteer Services Center.
Unfortunately, no one on the editorial staff ever called to verify the accuracy of the rumor. If they had, we would have unequivocally pledged complete support for the Volunteer Services Center. In fact, the closing of the Volunteer Services Center has never even been discussed in any venue.
As you duly noted, the Volunteer Services Center contributes much to the University and surrounding community each day. The Volunteer Services Center makes a difference in many lives and the University has no intention of changing its mission, staffing, or space.
Too bad The Hurricane didn’t do its homework.

Sincerely,

Patricia A. Whitely
Vice President for Student Affairs

Editor’s Note: The Hurricane attempted on several occasions to contact administrators to get their perspective on this topic. Due to time constraints, we were unable to do so before press time.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...