Letter to the Editor 2

To the Editor:

I was extremely surprised and disappointed to read the editorial in Tuesday’s paper (The Hurricane, April 27) discussing the possible closing of the Butler Volunteer Services Center.
Unfortunately, no one on the editorial staff ever called to verify the accuracy of the rumor. If they had, we would have unequivocally pledged complete support for the Volunteer Services Center. In fact, the closing of the Volunteer Services Center has never even been discussed in any venue.
As you duly noted, the Volunteer Services Center contributes much to the University and surrounding community each day. The Volunteer Services Center makes a difference in many lives and the University has no intention of changing its mission, staffing, or space.
Too bad The Hurricane didn’t do its homework.

Sincerely,

Patricia A. Whitely
Vice President for Student Affairs

Editor’s Note: The Hurricane attempted on several occasions to contact administrators to get their perspective on this topic. Due to time constraints, we were unable to do so before press time.

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

The University of Miami basketball team was unable to overcome Virginia’s pack-line defense in a 59- ...

Even in signing a strong overall class, UM lost out on five defensive targets on National Signing Da ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

Redshirt freshman Alicia Blagg made quite an ACC Championships debut Friday night, capturing a gold ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play a pair of road matches in the Southwest this wee ...

University of Miami football player Deejay Dallas is an active member in the Hurricanes' Studen ...

Canes and Orange battle in noon game on CBS. ...