SG debates parking prices & lots

Alas, we have reached the last Student Government [SG] column of the semester.

At the last meeting I attended, Chuck McConnell, director of Parking and Transportation, updated SG on parking issues including the $20-$25 increase of resident and commuter parking pass prices to occur in the fall. Discount permits will remain unchanged to encourage garage usage.

There was also debate over the parking lot in front of Mahoney Residential College, which may be given over to commuters.

There is an ad hoc committee on this issue chaired by Mahoney Senators Mike Tenen and Chris Vasquez. Contact information for both of them is provided below.

Mary Sapp, assistant vice president of Planning and Institutional Research, spoke at the meeting to demonstrate MyUM – the new integrated web system for UM students.

Last semester, SG recommended that the administration place anti-slip grips on the outdoor stairs of the Cox science building because during rainy periods the steps became a hazard.

It was only recently – after a UM student slipped on those very steps and broke her arm – that the grips were implemented.

The moral of this story is that SG is run by students, so it often addresses the problems that face students every day of which the University administration may not be aware.

Increased awareness of SG, coupled with their new website, should keep them from being forgotten in the minds of students.

Mike Tenen can be reached at m.tenen@umiami.edu; Chris Vasquez at c.vasquez1@umiami.edu.

For more information visit the University of Miami SG website at www.miami.edu/sg.

Amy S. Lawrence can be contacted at aslawrence@umiami.edu.

CABINET CHAIRS

The new (SG) Cabinet Members:

Academic Affairs Chair- Ben Everard

Community Affairs Chair- Christie Asencio

University Affairs Chair- Joie Zambito

Auxiliary Committees Chair- Jud Dry

Cabinet-Senate Liaison- Brandase Witherspoon

Cabinet Secretary- Kayla Shoemaker

SENATE COMMITTEE CHAIRS

The new (SG) Senate Committee

Chairpersons:

Academic Affairs- Mike Levine

Budgetary Review- Mike Ershowsky

Public Relations- Gus Rearte

University Affairs- Billy Bludgus and Laura

Turano

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team will host FGCU for its annual Senior Day meet on ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record its 750th all-time ...