Briefs Women’s Track and Field

Women’s Track and Field

University of Miami junior Lauryn Williams continued her breakout season on Saturday by capturing the 100-meter championship at the 2004 Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pa.

Williams posted a time of 11.15 seconds to defeat a talented field including Arkansas’ Veronica Campbell (11.27) and two-time defending Penn Relays Champion Muna Lee of LSU (11.30).

Williams has been nothing short of spectacular this outdoor season. At the Gatorade Classic on April 10 she ran the world’s fastest times this year in both the 100-meters (11.01) and 200-meters (22.46), and in Friday’s 100-meter Penn Relays preliminaries she set the meet record with a time of 11.10 seconds.

In the 4×400-meter relay the University of Miami team of senior Kitoya Carter, sophomore Charlette Greggs, sophomore Dominique Darden and freshman Ginou Etienne finished third in a time of 3:31.85. Miami’s time is a UM season best and the fourth fastest in the nation this season.

Rowing

The University of Miami rowing team will head to Worcester, Mass. this weekend to take part in the fourth annual Big East Women’s Rowing Challenge held on the waters or Lake Quinsigamond Sunday, April 25.

Along with the Hurricanes, eight Big East crews are slated to participate in the challenge, including three-time defending champions Syracuse, Notre Dame, Boston College, Georgetown, Rutgers, Villanova, West Virginia and Connecticut.

The Hurricanes send four boats to this year’s Challenge with the Varsity 8 crew of Laura Comeau (Cox), Karen Wiley, Jenny Krawec, Jacqui Julien, Sarah Conlon, Rachel Clausing, Caroline Stuart, Ananda Chou and Jordanna Heywood, Junior Varsity 8 crew of Jessica Martin (Cox), Rachel Sander, Bridget Gallagher, Anna Cohen, Julie Crane, Ashley Marincsin, Jacqui Heywood, Aoife Forde and Deirdre Curran, Varsity 4 crew of Hannah Bae (Cox), Jenny Dunning, Laura Coltman, Taurii Coyne and Yassi Haririnia and Novice 8 crew of Meghan Leydecker (Cox), Val Webb, Ashley Via, Natasha Lejer, Erin Morris, Sarah Stocks, Noelle Van Ee, Molly Wilson and Marenda Chamberlin each looking to lead UM to their first Big East title.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...