Briefs Women’s Track and Field

Women’s Track and Field

University of Miami junior Lauryn Williams continued her breakout season on Saturday by capturing the 100-meter championship at the 2004 Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pa.

Williams posted a time of 11.15 seconds to defeat a talented field including Arkansas’ Veronica Campbell (11.27) and two-time defending Penn Relays Champion Muna Lee of LSU (11.30).

Williams has been nothing short of spectacular this outdoor season. At the Gatorade Classic on April 10 she ran the world’s fastest times this year in both the 100-meters (11.01) and 200-meters (22.46), and in Friday’s 100-meter Penn Relays preliminaries she set the meet record with a time of 11.10 seconds.

In the 4×400-meter relay the University of Miami team of senior Kitoya Carter, sophomore Charlette Greggs, sophomore Dominique Darden and freshman Ginou Etienne finished third in a time of 3:31.85. Miami’s time is a UM season best and the fourth fastest in the nation this season.

Rowing

The University of Miami rowing team will head to Worcester, Mass. this weekend to take part in the fourth annual Big East Women’s Rowing Challenge held on the waters or Lake Quinsigamond Sunday, April 25.

Along with the Hurricanes, eight Big East crews are slated to participate in the challenge, including three-time defending champions Syracuse, Notre Dame, Boston College, Georgetown, Rutgers, Villanova, West Virginia and Connecticut.

The Hurricanes send four boats to this year’s Challenge with the Varsity 8 crew of Laura Comeau (Cox), Karen Wiley, Jenny Krawec, Jacqui Julien, Sarah Conlon, Rachel Clausing, Caroline Stuart, Ananda Chou and Jordanna Heywood, Junior Varsity 8 crew of Jessica Martin (Cox), Rachel Sander, Bridget Gallagher, Anna Cohen, Julie Crane, Ashley Marincsin, Jacqui Heywood, Aoife Forde and Deirdre Curran, Varsity 4 crew of Hannah Bae (Cox), Jenny Dunning, Laura Coltman, Taurii Coyne and Yassi Haririnia and Novice 8 crew of Meghan Leydecker (Cox), Val Webb, Ashley Via, Natasha Lejer, Erin Morris, Sarah Stocks, Noelle Van Ee, Molly Wilson and Marenda Chamberlin each looking to lead UM to their first Big East title.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...