Artist Romero Britto to join Sigma Phi Epsilon

World-renowned South Beach artist Romero Britto has accepted an invitation to join the UM chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon [SigEp]. Britto’s bold artistic compositions bring bright colors and imaginative designs to museums and art galleries around the world – including the homes of international celebrities such as the Kennedys, Guggenheims and Rothschilds, as well as the White House and the Smithsonian in Washington.

Born in 1963 in Recife, Brazil, Britto developed his artistic talent as a young child, painting on scraps of newspaper and cardboard. After moving to Miami 18 years ago, he quickly attained international stardom after being commissioned by Absolut Vodka to compose a series of print ads. Britto donated gifts of artwork to 92 international charities last year, and his paintings bring smiles to the faces of sick children at many of the major children’s hospitals in the U.S.

UM recently commissioned Britto to produce the official artwork for Momentum, President Shalala’s billion-dollar fundraising campaign. His original UM-inspired painting will be unveiled in coming weeks and will be available to collectors as a limited edition print.

In addition, Britto will be designing and showcasing two original canvases to be on permanent display in the lobby of the soon-to-be-built Everglades on the Bay condominiums in downtown Miami. His works are on display on Calle Ocho, and he has a showroom on Lincoln Road.

SigEp approached Britto earlier this year about becoming an honorary member of the fraternity through the Sigma Phi Epsilon Renaissance of Brotherhood program.

“I am honored to accept your invitation to join SigEp,” Britto said, addressing the SigEp brothers at a recent meeting. “I look forward to sharing my artistic vision with all of you as you work toward achieving your dreams.”

Britto will be formally initiated into SigEp at a special ceremony on May 1. His artwork will also be showcased in an upcoming edition of The Journal, SigEp’s quarterly national publication.

For more information about Britto’s art, visit www.britto.com.

Jason Guercio can be contacted at j.guercio@umiami.edu.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...