Artist Romero Britto to join Sigma Phi Epsilon

World-renowned South Beach artist Romero Britto has accepted an invitation to join the UM chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon [SigEp]. Britto’s bold artistic compositions bring bright colors and imaginative designs to museums and art galleries around the world – including the homes of international celebrities such as the Kennedys, Guggenheims and Rothschilds, as well as the White House and the Smithsonian in Washington.

Born in 1963 in Recife, Brazil, Britto developed his artistic talent as a young child, painting on scraps of newspaper and cardboard. After moving to Miami 18 years ago, he quickly attained international stardom after being commissioned by Absolut Vodka to compose a series of print ads. Britto donated gifts of artwork to 92 international charities last year, and his paintings bring smiles to the faces of sick children at many of the major children’s hospitals in the U.S.

UM recently commissioned Britto to produce the official artwork for Momentum, President Shalala’s billion-dollar fundraising campaign. His original UM-inspired painting will be unveiled in coming weeks and will be available to collectors as a limited edition print.

In addition, Britto will be designing and showcasing two original canvases to be on permanent display in the lobby of the soon-to-be-built Everglades on the Bay condominiums in downtown Miami. His works are on display on Calle Ocho, and he has a showroom on Lincoln Road.

SigEp approached Britto earlier this year about becoming an honorary member of the fraternity through the Sigma Phi Epsilon Renaissance of Brotherhood program.

“I am honored to accept your invitation to join SigEp,” Britto said, addressing the SigEp brothers at a recent meeting. “I look forward to sharing my artistic vision with all of you as you work toward achieving your dreams.”

Britto will be formally initiated into SigEp at a special ceremony on May 1. His artwork will also be showcased in an upcoming edition of The Journal, SigEp’s quarterly national publication.

For more information about Britto’s art, visit www.britto.com.

Jason Guercio can be contacted at j.guercio@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...