Week promotes women’s health

The spotlight was on women this week, as the Minority Women in Medicine sponsored Women’s Health Awareness Week [WHAW], aimed at raising women’s awareness of their physical and mental health.

“I like that we have activities like this on campus. I think women need to know more about their health,” Mayline Limia, senior, said. “With the amount of stress in society for women, we need something or someone to turn to.”

WHAW kicked off on Monday with a speech and ribbon-cutting ceremony by President Donna E. Shalala, as well as a carnival with free food and games. The positive feedback from students has already motivated organizers to plan the event for next year.

“Because this is the first year that any week of this nature has occurred, our main goal was simply to raise awareness for women’s health,” Kara Brown, WHAW fundraising chair, said. “We also wanted to test the waters, so to speak, and allow this to be a learning experience for us all – that way we can improve next year’s WHAW.”

Activities for the week also included a Mental Health Movie Night at Hecht on Tuesday night, where Girl Interrupted was shown, followed by a discussion led by the Department of Psychology.

“From the range of activities we presented – physical fitness assessment to Mental Health Movie Night – I hope all women realize that we are a complex combination of all these aspects, and we need to nurture each of them to be truly healthy,” Priyanka Handa, WHAW chair, said.

WHAW is collecting toiletries today UC Breezeway from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to help abused women in South Florida. The items have been collected throughout the week in various locations on campus, including the residential colleges and administrative buildings. Tomorrow, volunteers will take a trip to the Victim Services Center of Miami to donate toiletries and train to volunteer at the Center.

For more information about WHAW, contact Priyanka Handa at p.handa@umiami.edu.

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...