Student service, Greek scholars honored in awards ceremonies

“Although we wear different letters, we are all part of the University family,” Cecilia Suarez, president of the Latino Greek Council, said last week at the Greek Apple Polishing Ceremony, an opportunity for Greeks to acknowledge their academic achievement as well as honor the Greek community’s choice of outstanding administrator.

Greek chapters under UM’s four governing bodies – the National Interfraternity Council, the Latino Greek Council, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the National Panhellenic Conference – were present at the ceremonies to celebrate their academic accomplishments for Fall 2003.

“It’s nice to see a great turn after last year” said Nick Anderson, after accepting the award for Fall 2003 Above All Men GPA on behalf of his fraternity, Kappa Sigma.

“It feels wonderful. I’m glad to see my hard work pay off and I have made my mother proud,” said Myriam Bien-Aime, member of Zeta Phi Beta, awarded for a GPA above 3.5.

In addition to awarding Greek organizations and members for their academic excellence, faculty members were recognized by the Greek community for their involvement on campus and support of the student body.

Dr. Juliet Gainsborough, assistant professor in the School of Business, was awarded Outstanding Professor and Keith Fletcher, Hecht resident coordinator, was awarded Outstanding Administrator.

Myriam Clerge can be contacted at m.clerge@umiami.edu.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION AWARD WINNERS

The 2004 Student Organization Achievement Recognition [SOAR] Awards:

Excellence in Programming – Performance: Indian Students Association

Excellence in Programming – Cultural: Federaci