Student service, Greek scholars honored in awards ceremonies

“Although we wear different letters, we are all part of the University family,” Cecilia Suarez, president of the Latino Greek Council, said last week at the Greek Apple Polishing Ceremony, an opportunity for Greeks to acknowledge their academic achievement as well as honor the Greek community’s choice of outstanding administrator.

Greek chapters under UM’s four governing bodies – the National Interfraternity Council, the Latino Greek Council, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the National Panhellenic Conference – were present at the ceremonies to celebrate their academic accomplishments for Fall 2003.

“It’s nice to see a great turn after last year” said Nick Anderson, after accepting the award for Fall 2003 Above All Men GPA on behalf of his fraternity, Kappa Sigma.

“It feels wonderful. I’m glad to see my hard work pay off and I have made my mother proud,” said Myriam Bien-Aime, member of Zeta Phi Beta, awarded for a GPA above 3.5.

In addition to awarding Greek organizations and members for their academic excellence, faculty members were recognized by the Greek community for their involvement on campus and support of the student body.

Dr. Juliet Gainsborough, assistant professor in the School of Business, was awarded Outstanding Professor and Keith Fletcher, Hecht resident coordinator, was awarded Outstanding Administrator.

Myriam Clerge can be contacted at m.clerge@umiami.edu.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION AWARD WINNERS

The 2004 Student Organization Achievement Recognition [SOAR] Awards:

Excellence in Programming – Performance: Indian Students Association

Excellence in Programming – Cultural: Federaci

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...