Student service, Greek scholars honored in awards ceremonies

“Although we wear different letters, we are all part of the University family,” Cecilia Suarez, president of the Latino Greek Council, said last week at the Greek Apple Polishing Ceremony, an opportunity for Greeks to acknowledge their academic achievement as well as honor the Greek community’s choice of outstanding administrator.

Greek chapters under UM’s four governing bodies – the National Interfraternity Council, the Latino Greek Council, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the National Panhellenic Conference – were present at the ceremonies to celebrate their academic accomplishments for Fall 2003.

“It’s nice to see a great turn after last year” said Nick Anderson, after accepting the award for Fall 2003 Above All Men GPA on behalf of his fraternity, Kappa Sigma.

“It feels wonderful. I’m glad to see my hard work pay off and I have made my mother proud,” said Myriam Bien-Aime, member of Zeta Phi Beta, awarded for a GPA above 3.5.

In addition to awarding Greek organizations and members for their academic excellence, faculty members were recognized by the Greek community for their involvement on campus and support of the student body.

Dr. Juliet Gainsborough, assistant professor in the School of Business, was awarded Outstanding Professor and Keith Fletcher, Hecht resident coordinator, was awarded Outstanding Administrator.

Myriam Clerge can be contacted at m.clerge@umiami.edu.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION AWARD WINNERS

The 2004 Student Organization Achievement Recognition [SOAR] Awards:

Excellence in Programming – Performance: Indian Students Association

Excellence in Programming – Cultural: Federaci

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...