Where They Stand

For those who have started thinking about the impending 2004 Presidential election, it’s important to know where the three major candidates stand on various topics.
Here is a – very – brief overview on the candidates’ views on a few important issues:

Economy

Bush – Speeding up 2001 tax cuts to increase pace of economic recovery; Stimulate job-creating investment with dividend and capital gains tax relief; $20 billion in aid to the states.

Kerry – Roll back Bush tax cuts, invest money in education and health care; Job creation through manufacturing jobs credit, investing in new energy industries; Tax reform to encourage companies to create jobs in America and an end to tax benefits for corporations that ship jobs overseas.

Nader – Requiring equitable trade; Investing in renewable energy policy and in urgently needed local infrastructure projects; Putting human needs before corporate needs.

Health Care

Kerry – Closing loopholes and fighting waste and fraud in the system; More affordable prescription drugs and malpractice insurance; A new “quality” bonus for providers who improve care while reducing cost.

Nader – Single payer program with full coverage; Ending insurance company administration of health care; Expanded coverage.

Bush – More choices for Medicare recipients; Full coverage for disease prevention; Improved prescription drug coverage without government dictating drug choices.

Environment

Nader – Strengthen toxic standards to include the protection of children; Incorporate environmental protection in all areas of governance.

Bush – $1.2 billion hydrogen fuel initiative; “Clear Skies” initiative to cut power plant emissions; Fiscal Year ’04 request of $44.9 billion for environment and natural resources budget.

Kerry – Federal assistance to deal with traffic congestion and urban sprawl; Creation of environmental empowerment zones; 20 percent of electricity from renewable sources by 2020.

Iraq/ National Security

Bush – Defense budget increase of $15.3 billion; Increased military pay; Stay the course in the War on Terror; Facilitate democracy in Iraq.

Kerry – Bring in the United Nations as a full partner in Iraq’s transition to democracy; Increased military pay; Increased international involvement to strengthen Iraqi security.

Nader – Opposed war in Iraq; Replace US forces with UN Peacekeepers; Money spent on war in Iraq should be re-directed to domestic considerations such as health care and education.

All information came from the official candidate websites. For a more in-depth look at these and other issues, check out all these campaign websites:

Bush – www.georgewbush.com
Kerry – www.johnkerry.com
Nader – www.votenader.org

Compiled by Scott Wacholtz.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...