Republican’s view from inside Kerry campaign rally

A festive atmosphere of hatred swept through Sen. John Kerry’s Presidential campaign rally at UM on Sunday afternoon. Kerry campaign workers exclaimed, “Let the Bush people know they are not wanted here.” Members of the College Democrats blocked my entrance and let at least 50 students standing behind me into the rally first because of my Bush-Cheney sticker. I gained admission only after promising not to protest, which I had no intention of doing. I understand not wanting any protestors within 20 feet of Kerry, but arrogantly stonewalling me at the door because of my political affiliation stands against the inclusive nature that the University of Miami represents.

Kerry’s comments further cemented his flip-flopping stance on key issues.

The senator claimed we really didn’t need to liberate Iraq and accused President Bush of lying to America about our reasons for going to war. Kerry said, “The American people, with respect to issues of war and peace, are owed the truth. The U.S. deserves a President who understands we don’t go to war because we want to but because we have to.”

With access to the Bush Administration’s top-level intelligence, Kerry voted for the use of force in Iraq on Oct. 11, 2002. At the first Democratic Presidential Debate, Kerry said, “I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision I supported him, and I support that we did disarm him” (5/4/03 Columbia, S.C.). Kerry has also stated, “Terrorism is a global menace. It’s a scourge. And it is absolutely vital that we continue; for instance, Saddam Hussein” (CNN’s “Larry King Live,” 12/14/01). Should America trust the Presidency to a man who cannot even take a consistent stance on war?

On Oct. 25, 2001, Kerry voted for the Patriot Act. He later said, “Most of [the Patriot Act]has to do with improving the transfer of information between CIA and FBI, and it has to do with things that really were quite necessary in the wake of what happened on Sept. 11” (Remarks At Town Hall Meeting, Manchester, N.H., 8/6/03). At UM Kerry declared, “I ask you to march with me for the right to have an attorney general who is not John Ashcroft and who respects the U.S. Constitution.”

The United States cannot afford to elect a flip-flopping President weak on terrorism and defense. Would bin Laden prefer a President who has destroyed over two-thirds of Al-Qaeda, used the Patriot Act to brake six U.S. terror cells and wiped out the terrorists states of Afghanistan and Iraq? Or would Osama want a man who may or may not have the resolve to fight him?

Pete Trombadore can be contacted at p.trombadore@umiami.edu.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...