WEST SIDE STORY Brilliant cast promises added flavor to famed musical

Get ready to experience two weeks of choreographed gangland love as QuantUM Entertainment, the theatrical arm of Hurricane Productions, brings the 1957 musical West Side Story (WSS) to UM’s Hillel Theatre. This play marked the first- and arguably most famous, collaboration between Leonard Bernstein (music) and then Broadway newcomer Stephen Sondhiem (lyrics).

WSS is a modern retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet cast against the warfare of two rival street gangs, the Jets (Polish-American) and the Sharks (Puerto Rican) in 1950s NYC. Tony (David Rosa), a former leader of the Jets, falls in love with Maria (Rose Sirna), who is the sister of Bernardo (Julius Rubio) the leader of the Sharks, while at a school dance. This leads to increased rivalry between the gangs and several memorable songs by Stephen Sondheim like “America,” and “Tonight.”

“I think the show was written by geniuses,” said director Nicole Washinsky. “And I try to be as true to how it was written as possible so as not to disappoint fans of the show.”

The writing and singing weren’t the only concerns during production however. Making enough room for both a large cast and an expansive set was only one of many objectives.

“Our goal in this production was to step up costumes, lighting and set from previous productions,” said producer Zach Lezberg.

These goals are accomplished entirely by UM students. The actors, the director and the crew are all nonprofessionals working to gain experience. This gives their shows a fresh and different perspective, something the audience appreciates.

WSS was chosen through a random survey conducted asking UM students which plays they’d like to see performed on campus. Other nominees included Footloose, Hair, and Little Shop of Horrors, all of which are still in consideration for next semester.

West Side Story is being performed at the Hillel Theatre, 1100 Stanford Drive on the UM campus. Tickets for UM students are $10, $15 for non-UM students, and $20 for general public. Shows are April 15-24 at 8 p.m. and April 18 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. There are no shows on Fridays, but shows on and Sundays and Mondays are only $8 for UM students. For additional information or to give input in shows for next semester visit www.gotoquantum.com.

Jonathan Twiggar can be contacted at J.twiggar@umiami.edu.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...