FASHION SWEAT IT: UM students’ distinctive fashion sense

What do you get when you mix mod Brits, funky South Americans, gorgeous California beach bums, and dare to bare it all Floridians? UM’s eclectic fashion sense.

Miami is a cultural breeding ground for chic style and the latest trends, and so is this university that proudly calls Miami its home. If you look around on an average day when everyone is changing classes, you’ll notice how many UM students really are showing off their great fashion sense in a myriad of ways. From your South American funk: low slung ripped jeans, flashy bright sneakers, big earrings, and that I-just-rolled-out-of-bed-but-damn-I-look-good sex appeal, to the ever-popular California surfer boy look: worn shorts, Rainbow flip flops, tousled hair, vintage tees, and perfectly bronzed skin. Even those who cross the pond to study here bring their eclectic yet elegant style from England. The girls clad in Topshop and Miss Selfridge’s latest bright chiffon tops with their mod jewelry and killer boots; to the men wearing their soccer jerseys and patriotic sports wristbands. It’s evident that students come here from different parts of the world bringing their native styles with them. However, fashion isn’t just about what you’re wearing but how you strut your stuff or show your duds. I tried to focus on those individuals who didn’t just look good in the clothes they were wearing but in their own skin. Trying to stay away from the trends that just need to go away (i.e. Juicy Couture slip dresses and novelty shirts from UO). Since last week EDGE indulged you with fashion faux pas, better known as fashion don’ts, this week I’ve decided to focus on what makes UM such a breeding ground for fashion. Just realize that in the end, the number of people who dare to take risks and be different in a good way, outweigh those who just follow the flock.

Marcia Hernandez can be contacted at m.hernandez28@umiami.edu

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...