Conservative defeat doesn’t mean terrorist victory

Often when hearing some of my fellow students’ opinions, I feel like I’m listening to a condensed and neatly-packed week’s worth of misleading rhetoric from Fox News. The lack of political diversity in some of these positions typically sounds like the children of Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity spewing neo-con banter, such as the view that because the Spanish people ousted the conservative party, terrorism won.

As an “impudent liberal,” as these people would call me, I feel it to be my American duty to respond to these brash, conservative contentions.

Why is every action outside of the extreme Bush agenda a victory for the terrorists? Instead of flinging around “terrorist,” let’s look at the facts regarding Spain.

The self-proclaimed Partido Popular was apparently not too popular after all. They had been defying the will of the Spanish people by allying with the Bush administration. In fact, only 13 percent of the Spanish people were in favor of the invasion of Iraq. I may not be a math major, but 13 percent doesn’t sound very Popular to me. One of Prime Minister-elect Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero’s pledges during the campaign was to withdraw Spanish troops from Iraq. Considering the support for Iraq, I’d have to guess that it was a popular platform.

Following the 3/11 attacks, Spanish government officials blamed ETA – dismissing the possibility that Al-Qaeda was responsible. As mounting evidence refuted the government’s claims, Spaniards criticized the Partido not-so-Popular for withholding information to prevent a foreign policy backlash. Voter turnout was high, especially among youth (what a concept!), at 77.2 percent, 9 percent more than in 2000.

The Spaniards didn’t hand the country over to Al-Qaeda; they were just tired of being lied to by their government. I can relate!

I’ll let Zapatero respond to my neo-conservative friends’ fear-inducing implications that “Socialist” is synonymous to unabashedly soft on terrorism: “My immediate priority will be to combat all kinds of terrorism…The terrorists must know that they will confront all of us together. We will win.”

Spain was combating terror Bush’s way, and look what happened. The fact that the people of a country formerly known as one of our closest allies elected a leftist, anti-Iraq party does not indicate a victory for Al-Qaeda; on the contrary, it does indicate a victory for the people of Spain, who sought to punish the Partido un-Popular. I share similar sentiments as I look forward to punishing the Partido Republicano in November.

Chris Fisher can be contacted at c.fisher2@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...