Conservative defeat doesn’t mean terrorist victory

Often when hearing some of my fellow students’ opinions, I feel like I’m listening to a condensed and neatly-packed week’s worth of misleading rhetoric from Fox News. The lack of political diversity in some of these positions typically sounds like the children of Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity spewing neo-con banter, such as the view that because the Spanish people ousted the conservative party, terrorism won.

As an “impudent liberal,” as these people would call me, I feel it to be my American duty to respond to these brash, conservative contentions.

Why is every action outside of the extreme Bush agenda a victory for the terrorists? Instead of flinging around “terrorist,” let’s look at the facts regarding Spain.

The self-proclaimed Partido Popular was apparently not too popular after all. They had been defying the will of the Spanish people by allying with the Bush administration. In fact, only 13 percent of the Spanish people were in favor of the invasion of Iraq. I may not be a math major, but 13 percent doesn’t sound very Popular to me. One of Prime Minister-elect Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero’s pledges during the campaign was to withdraw Spanish troops from Iraq. Considering the support for Iraq, I’d have to guess that it was a popular platform.

Following the 3/11 attacks, Spanish government officials blamed ETA – dismissing the possibility that Al-Qaeda was responsible. As mounting evidence refuted the government’s claims, Spaniards criticized the Partido not-so-Popular for withholding information to prevent a foreign policy backlash. Voter turnout was high, especially among youth (what a concept!), at 77.2 percent, 9 percent more than in 2000.

The Spaniards didn’t hand the country over to Al-Qaeda; they were just tired of being lied to by their government. I can relate!

I’ll let Zapatero respond to my neo-conservative friends’ fear-inducing implications that “Socialist” is synonymous to unabashedly soft on terrorism: “My immediate priority will be to combat all kinds of terrorism…The terrorists must know that they will confront all of us together. We will win.”

Spain was combating terror Bush’s way, and look what happened. The fact that the people of a country formerly known as one of our closest allies elected a leftist, anti-Iraq party does not indicate a victory for Al-Qaeda; on the contrary, it does indicate a victory for the people of Spain, who sought to punish the Partido un-Popular. I share similar sentiments as I look forward to punishing the Partido Republicano in November.

Chris Fisher can be contacted at c.fisher2@umiami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...