Briefs TENNIS, TRACK & FIELD

Women’s Tennis

University of Miami women’s tennis junior Megan Bradley moved up to No. 2 in the nation in the latest ITA singles rankings released Tuesday afternoon.

Bradley is 15-1 in dual matches and 26-4 overall this year in singles play.

She started the 2004 season ranked No. 11 in the nation and has continued to move up throughout the season.

She finished her sophomore season at Miami ranked No. 55 in the final ITA national rankings after compiling an overall record of 17-9 in singles play, primarily playing at the No. 1 spot for the Hurricanes. She faced some of the nation’s top talent in 2002-03 with five of her nine losses coming at the hands of ranked opponents

Bradley earned All-American honors as a freshman at UCLA. She competed at the No. 1 singles position, while compiling an impressive overall record of 30-9. She was named an All-American in both singles and doubles competition while earning ITA’s Rookie of the Year honors. She ended the 2002 season as the Bruins’ highest ranked singles player at No. 5 in the nation.

The No. 22 Hurricanes are 13-3 overall and return to action Saturday hosting No. 75 Old Dominion at Noon.

Women’s Track and Field

The University of Miami women’s outdoor track and field team is ranked eighth in the season opening Trackwire 25 rankings released Tuesday.

So far this season, the Hurricanes have had six individuals and two relays qualify for the NCAA Regional Championships to be held May 28-29 in Gainesville, Fla.

Freshman Tabia Charles who broke her own Canadian junior national record this week in the triple jump is ranked second in the nation. She is also ranked sixth nationally in the long jump.

Freshmen Brenda Faluade and Amy Seward are also regional qualifiers in both jumps. Faluade is ranked ninth in the long jump and 13th in the triple jump. Seward is ranked 23rd in the long jump and 27th in the triple jump.

Senior All-America Kitoya Carter, the defending East Regional Champion in the triple jump, has qualified for this season’s regional championship in the triple jump with a mark of 13.28 meters. Carter’s qualifying mark ranks sixth in the nation.

Sophomore All-American Dominique Darden holds the sixth best time in the 400-meter hurdles and senior Adrienne Moss is ranked 46th in the shot put (14.67m).

Miami’s 4×100-meter relay of junior Chinela Davis, junior Wiande Moore, Darden, and junior All-American Lauryn Williams is ranked third in the nation with a time of 44.17. The 4×400-meter relay of Carter, Darden, sophomore All-American Charlette Greggs, and freshman Ginou Etienne holds the seventh best time in the nation.

The Hurricanes will host the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic at Cobb Stadium in Coral Gables, Fla., this Saturday, April 10.