Former UM student goes AWOL, turns himself in

A former UM student is being charged with desertion after turning himself in to the U.S. Army for being absent without leave for five months.

Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia, a member of the Army National Guard who was studying psychology at UM before being called to active duty, turned himself in to authorities March 16 and requested conscientious objector status – designating a member who does not engage in combat – based on his belief that the war in Iraq is immoral.

Mejia served six months in the Sunni Triangle of Iraq. He made his decision while home on leave for two weeks through the U.S. Central Command’s Rest and Relaxation Program.

During his time being AWOL, Mejia spent most of his time in New York. He turned himself in at Hanscom Air Force Base in Massachusetts. The military allowed Mejia to return to his Guard unit in Miami, and from there he was sent to Fort Stewart, Ga.

“Sgt. Mejia was read the charges of desertion – which is a crime under the Uniform Code of Military Justice [UCMJ] – on March 24, but he has not been arrested,” Lt. Col. Clifford Kent, public affairs officer at Fort Stewart, said. “We believe he will go to trial in May, but his request for conscientious objector status is a separate issue and will not have an effect on his case.”

Mejia’s pass privileges were revoked, so he cannot leave Fort Stewart, but he is free to move about on the post and go bowling, swimming and shopping. He is also allowed to have visitors.

According to Kent, this is quite common for any soldier facing action under the UCMJ.

“He is being treated fairly and honorably as with any other soldier within the legal system,” Kent said. “He is not being spotlighted for special treatment of any kind.”

I think he truly had a moment where he thought, “I can’t do this – it’s not morally right.” -JOSE RODRIGUEZ, FORMER ADVISOR

While the military may not be giving him special consideration, Mejia is receiving national attention for his actions.

Feelings concerning the situation are split, some agreeing with Rodriguez and others questioning the method by which Mejia decided to voice his opposition to the war.

“I don’t believe Camilo thought about how politically charged his decision would be,” Jose Rodriguez, Mejia’s former advisor in the Department of Psychology, said. “I think he truly had a moment where he thought, ‘I can’t do this – it’s not morally right.'”

Describing him as a “very kind soul,” Rodriguez believes Mejia is “getting a bum wrap for having the courage to speak his mind against the administration and the war in general.”

“Whereas I might be inclined to believe that a soldier involved in war who conscientiously objects…could be afforded a certain sympathy, my sympathies do not extend as far in this situation,” said Adam Altman, J.D. and professor in the Department of Psychology. “While Sgt. Mejia should not be forced to take up the charge of war when sufficient numbers of others willingly will do so…the ends in this instance do not justify the means because other means apparently were available to him.”

No matter what public opinion is, Mejia’s future will be in the hands of either a military judge or a panel of his peers, depending on which his defense team chooses. If convicted, he could face a bad conduct discharge and a year in confinement.

Catherine Howden can be contacted at c.howden@umiami.edu.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...