NEWS BRIEFS

Lowe receives art donation

The Lowe Art Museum at UM has received a major boost to its compilation of ethnic and non-Western art, as well as to what was formerly a tiny collection of studio glass. Coral Gables collectors Alan and Claudia Potamkin and UM alumni Sheldon and Myrna Palley have donated an extensive collection of artwork to add to the diverse assortment on display at the museum.
Utah State student tries out life as a ‘Martianaut’
U-WIRE- Utah
Utah State University student Jamon Nielson spent two weeks experiencing the life of a “Martianaut” and conducted research with USU technology while living in the Mars Desert Research Station near Hanksville, Utah. During the two weeks, the six-member crew lived in an eight-meter cylindrical shelter, leaving only in space suits to conduct experiments and record data.
“In some sense you are cut off from your environment. I was like bubble boy,” Nielson said, adding it was weird not to be able to feel the wind or touch the things around him.
“I liked the whole environment, the whole simulations of what an astronaut would really go through,” he said.

University of Maryland gets OK to ban profane behavior by fans
U-WIRE- Maryland
A policy prohibiting profanity at the Comcast Center, home to a host of University of Maryland athletic teams, would not violate the First Amendment, Maryland’s assistant attorney general ruled last week, giving the green light for university officials and a student committee to discuss banning profane chants and T-shirts at Terrapin men’s basketball home games.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...