NEWS BRIEFS

Lowe receives art donation

The Lowe Art Museum at UM has received a major boost to its compilation of ethnic and non-Western art, as well as to what was formerly a tiny collection of studio glass. Coral Gables collectors Alan and Claudia Potamkin and UM alumni Sheldon and Myrna Palley have donated an extensive collection of artwork to add to the diverse assortment on display at the museum.
Utah State student tries out life as a ‘Martianaut’
U-WIRE- Utah
Utah State University student Jamon Nielson spent two weeks experiencing the life of a “Martianaut” and conducted research with USU technology while living in the Mars Desert Research Station near Hanksville, Utah. During the two weeks, the six-member crew lived in an eight-meter cylindrical shelter, leaving only in space suits to conduct experiments and record data.
“In some sense you are cut off from your environment. I was like bubble boy,” Nielson said, adding it was weird not to be able to feel the wind or touch the things around him.
“I liked the whole environment, the whole simulations of what an astronaut would really go through,” he said.

University of Maryland gets OK to ban profane behavior by fans
U-WIRE- Maryland
A policy prohibiting profanity at the Comcast Center, home to a host of University of Maryland athletic teams, would not violate the First Amendment, Maryland’s assistant attorney general ruled last week, giving the green light for university officials and a student committee to discuss banning profane chants and T-shirts at Terrapin men’s basketball home games.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...