NEWS BRIEFS

Lowe receives art donation

The Lowe Art Museum at UM has received a major boost to its compilation of ethnic and non-Western art, as well as to what was formerly a tiny collection of studio glass. Coral Gables collectors Alan and Claudia Potamkin and UM alumni Sheldon and Myrna Palley have donated an extensive collection of artwork to add to the diverse assortment on display at the museum.
Utah State student tries out life as a ‘Martianaut’
U-WIRE- Utah
Utah State University student Jamon Nielson spent two weeks experiencing the life of a “Martianaut” and conducted research with USU technology while living in the Mars Desert Research Station near Hanksville, Utah. During the two weeks, the six-member crew lived in an eight-meter cylindrical shelter, leaving only in space suits to conduct experiments and record data.
“In some sense you are cut off from your environment. I was like bubble boy,” Nielson said, adding it was weird not to be able to feel the wind or touch the things around him.
“I liked the whole environment, the whole simulations of what an astronaut would really go through,” he said.

University of Maryland gets OK to ban profane behavior by fans
U-WIRE- Maryland
A policy prohibiting profanity at the Comcast Center, home to a host of University of Maryland athletic teams, would not violate the First Amendment, Maryland’s assistant attorney general ruled last week, giving the green light for university officials and a student committee to discuss banning profane chants and T-shirts at Terrapin men’s basketball home games.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...