INS scam: inter-office politics over international politics

The abolition of the Department of International Studies [INS] is a sham.

If Dean Wyche approves the new proposal penned by the INS student-faculty transition team, a virtually identical program of international study will be implemented at UM. Absolutely zero will have been gained after the degrees of faithful INS graduate and undergraduate students have been devalued, the reputation of the Arts and Sciences department scarred and the teachers of INS surrounded by controversy. The ordeal will have done nothing more than discredit the University of Miami and disenfranchise the tuition-paying students who blindly signed on to the INS bandwagon.

The transition team would not have sent the proposal to the Dean unless they had reasonable grounds to believe that it would be approved. So the question remains as to why Wyche is looking to simply replace the curriculum he so clumsily canned at the beginning of the semester.

The answer to the question comes from the fact that the original INS catastrophe is entirely the product of inter-office politics and petulant professors. Tenure issues, clashing personalities, and poor administrative decisions led to the ordeal. So a perfectly fine department is killed, the credibility of UM’s College of Arts and Sciences is irrevocably damaged and unassuming students are shortchanged out of a reputable degree because our administration falls woefully short in its office management abilities.

Wyche, Shalala and the rest of the administration should have taken responsibility for the situation two years ago when the School of International Studies was shut down. Restructuring in the department – which is all the new proposal does – should have taken place through methods that would not affect the academic integrity of the College.

Now my fellow INS scholars and I are left to choose between the new program that is formulated through the transition team or the old INS curriculum that we originally signed up for. Neither degree is credible, in my opinion, and I’m thinking about dropping my international relations aspirations altogether. If UM’s inter-office politics are more important than the actual international politics in a department of international study, I can’t see how I’ll end up with an even halfway decent education.

Jillian Bandes can be contacted at j.bandes@umiami.edu.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...