Women’s tennis remains perfect at home

The women’s tennis team remained perfect at home after defeating Marquette University and the University of Central Florida this past weekend. The No. 15 Hurricanes remain 11-0 season at home and 13-2 overall.

The weekend of tennis began Friday when the Hurricanes challenged the Golden Eagles at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. In doubles matches the ‘Canes dominated the competition, and due to injuries on the Marquette team, only two of the three matches were completed. Senior Sara Robbins and junior Staci Stevens defeated Veronica Briseno and Callan Smith 8-3. Freshman Audery Banada and senior Mari Toro also outplayed their competition, defeating Espinosa and Dabrowski 8-3.

The singles matches were also plagued by injuries for Marquette. Only four singles matches were completed and all resulted in wins for the Hurricanes. No.4 Megan Bradley defeated Briseno 6-1, 6-1. Sophomore Melissa Applebaum defeated Genevieve Charron 7-5, 6-1, and Toro defeated Smith 6-1, 6-3. Stevens also topped Dominika Dabrowski 6-3, 6-1.

Friday was only the beginning of a stellar weekend for the Hurricanes, however.

On Saturday afternoon the women hosted UCF at the Schiff. In doubles matches the Hurricanes again outlasted their challengers, winning two of the three doubles matches. Applebaum and Bradley defeated Amira Samara and Ola Luczak 8-1. Robbins and Stevens defeated Anna Westin and Kristina Lohmos 8-4. Unfortunately for Toro and Banada, they could not hold off their competition, losing 8-3.

“My game hasn’t been like it was at the beginning. I think it’s been wearing me down a little,” Banada said. “All I think I need is a little bit of rest and then I think I’ll be able to bring it back to the court.”

Banada played with fierceness against her singles opponent Megan Hunter. Banada was able to maintain her perfect season with a 6-4, 6-2 win.

“Though the wind was sometimes a factor, and most of the time it doesn’t make the matches look so pretty, I think this time we were able to handle it,” Banada said.

As for the rest of the single matches, Bradley’s opponent, Westin, defaulted in the second set. Toro’s opponent, Pam Fernandez, defaulted as well, resulting in a win for Toro. Unfortunately for Applebaum, a controversial call resulted in her defeat 6-1, 4-6, (11-9) versus Lohmos. Stevens and senior Sihem Bennacer also defeated their opponents in a clean sweep. Stevens defeated Luczak 6-1, 6-0 and Bennacer defeated Samara 6-4, 6-1.

This past weekend was a defining week for the women, defeating both teams and remaining with a perfect home record. When it came down to it, the Golden Eagles and Golden Knights weren’t quite golden enough to handle the Hurricanes.

This coming week, the women will have a much-needed rest before resuming action against their Big East rival Notre Dame on April 4 in Indiana at noon.

“I think we did really well this weekend, though we are a little tired,” Bradley said. “I think we were able to maintain our game and play at our level.”

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...