NEWS BRIEFS

UMTV named best newscast

UM won an award for best newscast at the Florida Associated Press Broadcasters College Contest. Congratulations to UM student winners Stephen Webster, Mike McCormick, Catherine Chubb, Jason Kennedy, Erin Resnick, and Lena Fernandez. Awards will be handed out on April 24, at the FAPB’s college luncheon at Universal Orlando’s Portofino Bay Hotel.

UM teams up with

IMG Academies

UM has entered into an exclusive educational partnership with the prestigious IMG Academies in Bradenton, Florida. Already underway since January, the University of Miami is teaching language courses through its Intensive English Program on campus at IMG Academies. The University plans to offer more courses of study on site.

Harvard sex mag

funding approved

U-WIRE Boston University

In spite of opposition from some if its members, the undergraduate council at Harvard University decided Sunday to grant $2,000 to H-Bomb, a controversial student sex magazine that now will soon be published.

“We try to give money to all recognized students groups,” said Matthew Mahan, president of the Harvard Undergraduate Council.

Mahan said there was “some lively debate” during the council’s regular meeting last Sunday and that some students felt “a moral imperative to censor” the magazine, particularly because of the talk of rape fantasies being included in H-Bomb. The $2,000 allocated to the magazine will not come from Harvard University’s general funds, but instead from the Harvard Undergraduate Council, which manages a separate set of funds. Mahan said there is a possibility that the magazine crosses certain lines.

“In that case,” he said, “we won’t fund them again.”

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...