New faces of ’04-’05 SG inaugurated at Rat

In perhaps the largest congregation of the “stars of UM” on campus, everyone from President Shalala to Brock Berlin came out to the Rat as the Student Government [SG] executive board for the 2004-2005 school year was inaugurated last Thursday.

Shalala spoke about her relationship with SG during the opening of the ceremony.

“You got me to do things I really didn’t want to do,” Shalala said, reflecting on Scott Sadowski’s term as president. “That’s my test, Vance, for a leader.”

“SG makes us better administrators – it makes us more responsive to the students,” she continued. “At the end of the day, that’s what we’re here for.”

Outgoing SG President Scott Sadowski took the podium after Shalala, reflecting on the year and thanking administration and his board members for offering him insight and advice throughout the year.

“As a board, we were true complements – we were the true definition of a team,” Sadowski said. “We all had the passion to make this university a better place.”

Sadowski especially thanked Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely, saying she “set them apart from other SG’s around the country,” and SG Staff Associate Gloria Cooper for being “the passion of SG.” He advised the new board to foster the talent of future UM leaders.

In addition, during the inauguration, Whitely announced the “hot breaking news” that incoming SG President Vance Aloupis had been selected as the new student representative to the UM Board of Trustees. This is the first time in UM history that the undergrad SG president has been named as a voting member of the board.

Mike Abrams, Board of Trustees member and SG president of 1969 worked toward giving students full representation on the Board of Trustees. This kind of endeavor is virtually unheard of in the private university arena.

“It only took 35 years,” he joked.

After SG Chief Justice Hans Grunswaldt swore in the new SG executive board, Aloupis spoke about the upcoming school year.

“I can’t tell you how excited I am,” Aloupis said, after introducing the new executive board. “It’s time for out exec board to put our money where our mouth is.”

Aloupis reviewed his board’s platform for the upcoming year and talked about the spotlight that will be on UM as the national Presidential Debates come to campus in September.

“I just want to let you know that The Storm will be representing the student body for the 2004–2005 school year,” Aloupis said. “We are really going to focus on that.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

sity arena.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...