EDITORIAL Girl Power?

Tomorrow marks the end of Women’s History Month.

Now, let’s face it: how many of us were even aware that March was a month to celebrate women? And, more importantly, why do we even need a national women’s history month? After all, we don’t celebrate men’s history month. Typically, national “months” are used to raise awareness of minority groups, which, accounting for half of the world’s population, women are obviously not. However, perhaps we do need this time to remind us that women are still regarded as second rate citizens in much of the world.

Most members of our generation regard gender discrimination as an issue of the past, something that occurred “back in the day” when women weren’t allowed to vote, when our grandmothers were our age. The majority of today’s females think of themselves as modern women that are free to choose any career, get a divorce, wear what they want, and speak openly about their views. Thanks in part to the feminist movement and sexual revolution of the ’60s, U.S. women now enjoy the same rights as their male counterparts.

However, the inequality of women in the U.S. can still be seen today. Granted, it’s to a much lesser extent than in the past, but they are not immune to gender prejudice. College-aged women are na

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...