EDITORIAL Girl Power?

Tomorrow marks the end of Women’s History Month.

Now, let’s face it: how many of us were even aware that March was a month to celebrate women? And, more importantly, why do we even need a national women’s history month? After all, we don’t celebrate men’s history month. Typically, national “months” are used to raise awareness of minority groups, which, accounting for half of the world’s population, women are obviously not. However, perhaps we do need this time to remind us that women are still regarded as second rate citizens in much of the world.

Most members of our generation regard gender discrimination as an issue of the past, something that occurred “back in the day” when women weren’t allowed to vote, when our grandmothers were our age. The majority of today’s females think of themselves as modern women that are free to choose any career, get a divorce, wear what they want, and speak openly about their views. Thanks in part to the feminist movement and sexual revolution of the ’60s, U.S. women now enjoy the same rights as their male counterparts.

However, the inequality of women in the U.S. can still be seen today. Granted, it’s to a much lesser extent than in the past, but they are not immune to gender prejudice. College-aged women are na

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...