CD REVIEWS HOMME PUTS ASIDE QUEENS for eagles and delivers

Do not let the name fool you! Hardly containing a death metal sound, Eagles of Death Metal are just good old fashion rock and roll. Peace Love Death Metal is a party rock album all about drinking and fucking, with a message and twang that reminds the listener of Guns and Roses, New York Dolls, early Replacements, and Aerosmith circa 1975’s Toys In the Attic, one of the most decadent albums ever released, when they were drugged up and cool. Led by Jesse “The Devil” Hughes on guitars and vocals, he is backed up by Carlo Von Sexron on the drums, aka Josh Homme. This side project of Homme was born out of the collaboration with Hughes on 1998’s Desert Session Compilation 4. The recent troubles in the Queens of the Stone Age, with Nick Oliveri leaving the band, have allowed Homme to let this take center stage for the time being. EODM seems to be the perfect place for Homme to blow off some steam, showing his carefree nature, and proving how he is one of the most innovative and productive musicians in mainstream music.

Starting off with “I Only Want You,” a hopped up declaration of causal sex, Jesse sings, “I’m not really interested in what’s your heart / I never really leave I just slip away.” As civilization crumbles around us, what better statement that we are still alive then embracing a Dionysian hedonistic lifestyle. Lending to a bluesy sound at times, Hughes and Sexron harkens back to a aforementioned ’70s Aerosmith as well as Rolling Stones of “Some Girls” and “Exile on Main Street” period, with “San Berdoo Sunburn,” “Midnight Creeper” and “Wastin’ My Time.”

“English Girl” starts with one of the many catchy guitar riffs of Hughes as Sexron keeps the beat quick and light, as they shout to the listener to, “Keep dancing.” Another standout track here is “Already Died,” with Oliveri on bass, Jesse sings hauntingly of accepting an end to a relationship, “No…I don’t hold a grudge. It’s just hard for me.” The rest of the album is simply plain rock, preaching the idea that music can be fun and rowdy, such as the cover of Stealers Wheel “Stuck In The Middle With You.”

Unfortunately the production value here is a bit disappointing with the album sounding like a collection of demo tapes, filled with false starts and air breaks in between them discussing the tracks. At times the songs do lend towards the rough cut approach, however a bit more effort on the mixing boards could have really made this a tighter piece.

Ross Whitsett can be contacted at r.whitsett@umiami.edu.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...