CD REVIEWS HOMME PUTS ASIDE QUEENS for eagles and delivers

Do not let the name fool you! Hardly containing a death metal sound, Eagles of Death Metal are just good old fashion rock and roll. Peace Love Death Metal is a party rock album all about drinking and fucking, with a message and twang that reminds the listener of Guns and Roses, New York Dolls, early Replacements, and Aerosmith circa 1975’s Toys In the Attic, one of the most decadent albums ever released, when they were drugged up and cool. Led by Jesse “The Devil” Hughes on guitars and vocals, he is backed up by Carlo Von Sexron on the drums, aka Josh Homme. This side project of Homme was born out of the collaboration with Hughes on 1998’s Desert Session Compilation 4. The recent troubles in the Queens of the Stone Age, with Nick Oliveri leaving the band, have allowed Homme to let this take center stage for the time being. EODM seems to be the perfect place for Homme to blow off some steam, showing his carefree nature, and proving how he is one of the most innovative and productive musicians in mainstream music.

Starting off with “I Only Want You,” a hopped up declaration of causal sex, Jesse sings, “I’m not really interested in what’s your heart / I never really leave I just slip away.” As civilization crumbles around us, what better statement that we are still alive then embracing a Dionysian hedonistic lifestyle. Lending to a bluesy sound at times, Hughes and Sexron harkens back to a aforementioned ’70s Aerosmith as well as Rolling Stones of “Some Girls” and “Exile on Main Street” period, with “San Berdoo Sunburn,” “Midnight Creeper” and “Wastin’ My Time.”

“English Girl” starts with one of the many catchy guitar riffs of Hughes as Sexron keeps the beat quick and light, as they shout to the listener to, “Keep dancing.” Another standout track here is “Already Died,” with Oliveri on bass, Jesse sings hauntingly of accepting an end to a relationship, “No…I don’t hold a grudge. It’s just hard for me.” The rest of the album is simply plain rock, preaching the idea that music can be fun and rowdy, such as the cover of Stealers Wheel “Stuck In The Middle With You.”

Unfortunately the production value here is a bit disappointing with the album sounding like a collection of demo tapes, filled with false starts and air breaks in between them discussing the tracks. At times the songs do lend towards the rough cut approach, however a bit more effort on the mixing boards could have really made this a tighter piece.

Ross Whitsett can be contacted at r.whitsett@umiami.edu.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...