NEWS BRIEFS

UM NEWS

Leaders up for state award

Florida Leader magazine has announced the seven finalists for the Florida Student Leader of the Year award. Among them are UM students Minal Ahson, president of COISO, and Jason Guercio, chief of staff internal for Student Government. The winner will be announced on Apr. 16 at a press conference in Tallahassee.

S. Miami fitness center receives donation from UM

The University of Miami has donated $100,000 of fitness equipment to South Miami’s new Multipurpose Center. The fitness center equipment includes cardio-vascular, weight training and total body conditioning machines to help residents achieve their complete physical fitness goals.

U.Oklahoma freshman becomes instant McMillionaire

Oklahoma Daily (U. Oklahoma)

Erika Mendez, a University of Oklahoma freshman, was randomly selected as one of 15 possible winners of McDonald’s 2004 Instant Prize Giveaway of $1 million. She walked into the restaurant and was met at the door with a video camera.

“I had no idea what it was,” she said. “I didn’t watch the commercials, and I haven’t seen any of the ads.”

Mendez said even after this experience, she will continue to eat at McDonald’s.

“I go to McDonald’s a lot,” she said. “Why not? It’s good food.”

Sigma Chi fraternity’s secrets offered on eBay before removal

Indiana Daily Student (Indiana U.)

One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Just not if it involves secret fraternity documents. On Feb. 19 an eBay user posted the Sigma Chi fraternity ritual guide for a starting bid of $25.
“This 136-page document contains all of the secrets of the fraternity including initiation, chapter meetings, and everything having to do with the ritual,” the item description stated.
The seller, with the user ID “scerry,” removed the ritual guide from auction before any bids had been received and “the item is no longer available for sale,” according to eBay. Executive Secretary of the Sigma Chi International Fraternity Mark V. Anderson said the eBay document wasn’t real.
“We hired an outside investigator to look into this matter, and it was determined that the supposed Sigma Chi ritual guide offered on eBay was in fact a fraud, so we made sure it was removed from auction,” Anderson said.
According to the Sigma Chi official Web site, the document contains forms of integrity each chapter is expected to live by.
“Our guiding principles, unchanged for almost 150 years, continue to define the essence of Sigma Chi,” the Web site stated. “Like all Greek organizations, Sigma Chi’s ideals and purposes are set forth in a secret document called our Ritual.”

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...